Forums Latest Members
  1. duc Sep 28, 2017

I needed a battery replaced in a Christopher Ward chrono kicking around, so I researched options and discovered a local shop with decent newspaper coverage spanning the last 10 or 12 years. The founder (father who started the shop over 40 years ago) passed away a few years back. One story mentioned his son had become part of the business long enough ago to give me confidence. This all sounded reasonable for a battery, so I went over yesterday.

The battery swap was simple and done while I waited (for what amounted to an almost "no charge" fee - $7). After that I mentioned to the gent I had a few micro brand watches equipped with lower end Seiko movements. I asked if he would take a shot at improving their accuracy. He says "my machine is broken, but bring them in, I'll do them by hand".

The movements are all 6R15/NE15 or 4R35/NH35 Seiko. Admittedly not the best movements. I'm looking to improve their accuracy from +/- 30 to 40 sec/day to within 10-15 per day.

My assumption is to attempt this without a timegrapher is a bad approach. Does anyone disagree? Thanks in advance.

2. Canuck Sep 28, 2017

Little doubt that at one time, the subject watches were in mechanical condition to permit adjusting them to finer tolerances. It would seem to me that the condition of these watches has now deteriorated to the point that they no longer are able to perform as accurately. You are asking if the watches can be regulated to return to original performance without returning them to optimal condition by a shop without a timing machine? I think you have answered that one yourself.

3. duc Sep 28, 2017

Close @Canuck

The watches are all relatively new (purchased within the past year or so). They came in unregulated and I want them adjusted to keep better time. If they needed service due to age, I'd be looking for someone to work them over.

Thanks though.

4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 28, 2017

id walk away and find a shop that is actually interested in mechanical watches.

5. Canuck Sep 28, 2017

A "new" watch that had not been regulated? Is that "new" as in brand new, or used but new to you? Regardless, can they be brought to time by a shop with no timing machine? Well, give it a shot. Nothing to lose. But it may be necessary to return these watches to new condition before someone with a timing machine will be able to return them to original performance. The servicing and adjusting in rate of a watch is done to enable the watch to show a consistent rate in all positions. Only then can a watch be brought to a state where it can run accurately.

6. duc Sep 28, 2017

To try to clear this up a little better. They are new micro brand watches (in the <$500 each range), that lose or gain time beyond what I prefer. If they weren't new, I wouldn't worry about it. The fact that a new watch isn't keeping time at it's potential is not concerning given the nature of Kickstarter and small microbrand companies. They purchase movements from Seiko and stick them in their own cases. They do not attempt to adjust them in any fashion. I chalk it up to I'm getting what I paid for (something that looks appealing, but might not be as accurate as it could be with better QC).