Forums Latest Members
  1. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Dec 12, 2016

I was going to try a new watchmaker that is local to me. I called the shop and an answering machine had a message. We are no longer open the public. Leave you name and phone number to make an appointment.

My first thought was F@@k Off. I guess the guy is busy. However that is one shop. I am not going to deal with.

Any Thoughts?

2. Canuck Dec 12, 2016

For those of us who don't know where "local to me" actually is?

3. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Dec 12, 2016

Local to me does not matter. It could be east of the sun west of the moon. That message just stuck me as very odd.

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 12, 2016

In the vicinity of Stalag 13, looks like

blubarb and voere like this.
  5. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 12, 2016

One man business who wants to get on with his work without the door constantly opening taking up his time and perhaps for nothing ?

Archer and blubarb like this.
  6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 12, 2016

I've dealt with several watchmakers that are "by referral only". Many of the best watchmakers deal this way. If they advertised, they would have too much work and wouldn't be able to keep their standards as high as they would like. In this case, he might want to speak with you beforehand to determine that you know what you are talking about and that it will be profitable for him to work for you.

Another possibility could be that he only provides services to the jewelry trade and really doesn't want to deal with the general public.

It also could be that he is a just a jerk.
    gatorcpa

blubarb likes this.
  7. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Dec 12, 2016

I can understand that it’s a one man shop. However leave a better message than that one. A better message would be I am unable to answer your call. Please leave your name and number along with a short message. I will return your call as soon as I can.

8. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 12, 2016

I agree but how old is the guy ? not all of us like talking to machines.

Attempting devils advocate ;)

9. Canuck Dec 12, 2016

Likewise, your post to me! What does "local to me" mean where you live, if not in your area code? My apologies for bothering you!

blubarb likes this.
  10. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Dec 12, 2016

You are taking my reply the wrong way. If I mention my location then you may be able to figure out who the watchmaker is. Calling the watchmaker out is not my intention. I am happy with the watchmaker I deal with I was just looking for another watchmaker as an option

11. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Dec 12, 2016

I agree but how old is the guy ? not all of us like talking to machines.

Not sure how old the guy is. I am not a fan of talking to machines. I would rather deal with a watchmaker I can at the very least drop a watch off at his shop. I know they can be very busy. Heck the watchmaker I deal with. I am very happy with him.

I walk into his shop say hello exchange a cordial greeting. I tell him what I need done and leave. No paper work involved but it works for us. I am in and out of his shop in a couple minutes’ tops. When the watch is done someone from the shop gives me a call I pick up the watch.

After that message I am going to keep dealing with the watchmaker I have a good relationship with. I have no reason to switch watchmakers. I was just going to give the guy a try as an option.

12. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Dec 12, 2016

I am struggling to understand why you were not open to setting up an appointment. I am not sure why you think you would not be able to stop in, talk to him for a few minutes, etc., once you have initially met with him and he is open to taking you on as a customer.

blubarb likes this.
  13. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Dec 12, 2016

Too much hassle for me. At this stage in my life I do business when it’s convenient for me. We all do things differently. I even hate to make appointments with medical professionals and doctors. If I show up for an appointment and have to wait. I will just leave my time is valuable too. To each his own.

14. Canuck Dec 12, 2016

From the tenor of your posts in this thread, perhaps the watchmaker no longer wishes to work with you! Did you think of that! As you say, "to each his own!" Stalag 13, I like that!

blubarb and voere like this.
  15. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Dec 12, 2016

That is fine with me. No harm no foul.

16. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Dec 12, 2016

Not to beat a dead horse, but it would seem like making an appointment would help ensure you do not waste time waiting.

blubarb likes this.
  17. Just Livin Dec 12, 2016

Not sure I see the issue. One watchmaker (a referral) 'local to me' didnt take my call. I left a message. He replied. And stated he was booked solid for 3 months. But I could book in.

To me that spoke volumes. He was the right watchmaker. But just crushed under the volume of referrals.

BobXX, blubarb, voere and 1 other person like this.
  18. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Dec 12, 2016

An issue about nothing...
    f.jpg

blubarb, voere and Just Livin like this.
  19. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 12, 2016

This watchmaker is noted as being one of the best independents in the UK. Here's how he handles his repairs:

https://watchguy.co.uk/weve-changed-our-booking-system/

As of today, he is over his limit, so he's not taking on more work until he reduces the backlog.

Like any other profession, the better ones are always in high demand. I would worry about the ones with no work.
    gatorcpa

blubarb and BlackTalon like this.
  20. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Dec 12, 2016

By making an appointment then I am making a future commitment that I will show up. I am not willing to do that. So to be fair why would I make an appointment with the watchmaker?

Who knows what tomorrow holds in store. I do not want to commit to anything especially an appointment to have a watch serviced or repaired.