Forums Latest Members
  1. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Feb 17, 2013

When I started surfing watch forums, this watch, not a Rolex, was the first vintage that really grabbed my attention. So for the past 2 years, I have always been on the lookout for one of these and can only dream of having one. I will say I covert this more than a gold date at 12 Conquest. I am more of a sports than dress watch person. Anyways, Ham posted the listing for this particular watch here. Thank you Ham.
    http://omegaforums.net/threads/legend-diver.3800/
    Fortunately for me, Ham was not going after the watch. I slipped in an offer pretty much off the BIN. There were already 7 other offers which were declined so I thought it wasn't going to happen. No news from the seller till a day later and I was surprised he accepted the offer. But I was also worried due to the duplicate listing. Contacted the seller and affirmed what Lou had wrote about the seller. Should have done it the other way round but I guess I was too excited.:D
    There seems to be variation of dials for the LLD. This one is the less common variation with dots instead of bars inside of the 3, 6, 9, 12. Also it was not SWISS MADE but only SWISS at 6. The jewel count is also less at 17 so I am making an educated guess that this is for the US market. Just like Zenith/Movado and JLC/Lecoultre.
    Dial condition could be better but it's good enough for me. Orignal crowns too.
    IMG_2805.JPG IMG_2807.JPG
    Love the caseback.
    IMG_2810.JPG My 20mm tropic strap doesn't fit. Thinking of getting the 22mm but those are not cheap. Any suggestion on strap choice?
    IMG_2812.JPG
    Thanks for looking.

IMG_2810.JPG
    Civic4982, JohnSteed, pitpro and 2 others like this.
  2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 17, 2013

Well, there's a watch that's going nowhere but up. You are buying with elan, Gavin, really adding some classics to the collection. For strap, I vote mesh - divers never look shabby on mesh.

Can anyone point me to information on these? Its high time I eddicated myself on the various references available. What's the difference between refs 7042, 7150, 7494?

3. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Feb 17, 2013

Nice one. I've had my eye on these as an alternative to some of the crazy expensive super compressors. Looking forward to learning more.

4. danomar Feb 17, 2013

Ah, so now I see what you were looking at, Gavin! ;)

Very, very nice taste in vintage there! The Longines diver is, to me and nearly everyone who cares about vintage divers, THE best expression of the genre. I am, however, surprised that you are balking at the cost of a 22mm tropic after what you probably spent on that!

There is a fellow here in Germany who sells silicone replicas:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/NEU-Tropic-S...opical-Anschlusbreite-22-mm-TOP-/121053296945Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Not the real thing, but close enough until you find a reasonably priced alternative. Let me know if you want assistance getting one,

This article on the different Longines models explains most of the differences:

http://www.longinespassion.it/Longines_Passion/longines_diver.html

Unfortunately it does not translate online. Luckily I understand Italian abbastanza bene.

5. ulackfocus Feb 17, 2013

If that has the 19A (which I think it does, just can't remember when we looked at it) it would be a 17 jewel movement. If it was a later model it would have the 24 jewel caliber 290.

6. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Feb 17, 2013

Yeah mesh is nice but I never really have a thing for them. Just can't carry them off with a small wrist. I am into leather and rubber though. Hope that doesn't sound wrong.:p

7. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Feb 17, 2013

Thanks Daniel. And I am actually really a cheapskate.:D Will probably order a tropic from Bill/Squinky. And good luck with what you are looking at! :thumbsup:

8. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Feb 17, 2013

Yup that's a 19AS. So the jewel count is just due to different movement. Did not notice the different jewel count in a 19AS and 290. Thanks Dennis.

9. ulackfocus Feb 17, 2013

You're welcome. That's what I'm here for - keeping the facts straight about Longines.

..... and gawking at watches, a lot of gawking at watches. :p

10. pitpro Likes the game. Feb 20, 2013

That's a beauty!
    I bought the real deal from Squinky Curved end Tropic 22mm NOS.
    He cut me a deal bc of other purchases. He is the only one
    I have seen with them. Maybe he has one left. ~$250.
    That or a JB 22m Brick link that are around but expensive

11. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Feb 20, 2013

Thanks Pitpro. I cut a deal with Squinky too. Seems that the curved end can't fit the vintage Legend diver. Went for the straight end one.

12. pitpro Likes the game. Feb 20, 2013

I just read his listing
    He says it won't fit the NEW Legend.
    But you say it won't fit the OLD Legend either huh.
    Looking at the listing I think I'm off on what I paid,
    it was a year ago.
    So what is a good price on these Legends?
    Seems you are following the market.
    $5000 area? The other one listed is also $7500
    or best offer

13. ulackfocus Feb 20, 2013

Mint - $7k+ easily now. But that's gotta be 100% correct and perfect.

14. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Feb 20, 2013

Oops, I misread. So it fits the old Legend. Squinky pointed me to the straight end ones.
    And yeah, paid little more that $5000.

15. ulackfocus Feb 20, 2013

unicornpiggybank.jpg

Okay - who's goofing off? :p

16. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Feb 20, 2013

:D

17. ulackfocus Feb 20, 2013

Unicorn piggy banks? Okay, I can roll with it. :p

18. Ham Mar 6, 2013

Amazing watch! Great buy Gavin, thanks for sharing pictures.