Forums Latest Members
  1. Stanley May 29, 2012

Hi all,

Brand new here so I'm going to introduce my watch. I was hoping you might be able to help me identify it better or point out any parts that are obviously not stock. Here's what I think I know: It's an Omega Automatic Geneve made around 1972. I believe it's gold plated on the front, dials, and number ticks, with a mother of pearl face, and stainless on the back.

No here's the problem: It looses time. I just recently inherited it and set it but never checked to see if it was accurate. Then I took it off for a while and it died, so I reset it, although the date was a week back. It seemed like the dial only came out one position and I didn't want to pull to hard in case of breaking it so I just turned a week forward (which took a while) but now it seems to be loosing time. Also you can see that the date clicked over to the 30th before midnight. Is that unusual?

I'm a little worried that all that cranking maybe damaged it? I hope not, my grandfather would not have been impressed.

Thanks for all your thoughts, critiques, and advice. Face1.JPG

Face2.JPG Dial3.JPG Side2.JPG Back2.JPG
  2. ulackfocus May 30, 2012

Hi Stanley. Welcome to Omega Forums. Your watch looks authentic except for a replacement crown (winder). The reason it's performing so poorly is it needs to be serviced. Mechanical watches need to have their internals cleaned, oiled, and adjusted every 5 to 8 years. While it is an automatic, it needs motion to keep it running. Have a watchmaker do the service. It should cost you between $125 and $225 plus parts from an independent watchmaker. Then wear it proudly because heirlooms are awesome.

3. Stanley May 30, 2012

Thanks for your help Ulackfocus.

I figured it might have been in need of some service. Is that something I can do? I would be willing to get special tools if necessary. Does this forum have a tutorial/DIY section?

My grandmother said she has a Jeweler they always used to take the watch to for servicing but I'm wondering if the scratches on the back were from trying to open the case without the proper tool, which leaves me with a bad feeling about that guy. (Of course I can't say for sure that my grandfather didn't cause the damage himself).

What's a good way of finding someone "Omega" competent? I imagine anyone I call will say they know how to do it to make a sale. Can anyone vouch for a watch servicer in the Toronto, Ontario area?

Also, I guess while I'm at I may might as well try track down an authentic crown? Any ideas on going about that?

Thanks again for all your help,
    Stanley

4. ulackfocus May 30, 2012

If you're willing to ship it across the river, we have a qualified watchmaker: Jesse / member omega564. Shoot him an e-mail at jessehueg1 @ yahoo . com (remove spaces) or start a conversation with him here.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 30, 2012

Try Shane Ede in Toronto:

http://watch-repairs.vrx.net/

I've been told that he's very good. I would try him myself, but I'm always worried about cross-border customs issues. There's never a problem, until there is.

Please let us know how it goes,
    gatorcpa