Forums Latest Members
  1. Vausa412 Sep 18, 2017

Hi everyone,

As you can tell, I'm a very new member of this forum. I originally came here to get opinions on an Seamaster that I was considering buying (I was quickly convinced to wait for something better to come along - and thanks to you guys, now I know exactly what I'm looking for!). Anyway, that was the reason I came but I'm staying because the forum seems like a really decent community and I'm finding watches genuinely fascinating, not to mention how beautiful many of them are. Since I'm so new to this, I was hoping to actually invest some time in getting to know the history of watches and the craft that goes into making them. Looks like I'm mostly partial to the vintage type so anything related to that category is likely interesting to me. Thus, I am wondering whether the forum members know of any reading materials, in or outside of this forum, that can satisfy my curiosity. They don't have to be related to Omega watches - basic information will do at this point. A quick search around the forum did not immediately reveal such materials. If I missed any obvious threads or postings pertaining to this area, I'm happy to be corrected!

I'm not looking to turn myself into a watch maker. I'm finishing my graduate degree and about to begin my postdoc - which is to say that I am seeking a hobby to balance out the heavy academic portion in my life. I get stressed out about time on a semi-regular basis. Watches seem like a good idea.

I live close to NYC area and so if there are any resources specific to my location, I'd love to hear about them, too.

Thanks for reading and sharing!

Edited Sep 20, 2017
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 19, 2017

Right here you have a trove of info and many brands covered with focus forums on Omega, UG, Rolex and Longines. Just use the search function. Then there are specialty forums on Rolex, Constellation etc. HODINKEE, Fratello Watchville App. Lots of good stuff. Then there are the Books. These are a big investment but worth it. Your can browse Hondikee Bookstore for titles and then shop around.

Vausa412 likes this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 19, 2017

Vausa412 likes this.
  4. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Sep 19, 2017

5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 19, 2017

aap and Vausa412 like this.
  6. Paulomega Sep 19, 2017

Like to know about reference material for Constellations and Seamasters please

7. Vausa412 Sep 19, 2017

What lovely responses! Thanks, guys. These books aren't cheap for sure but let see what I can do about that! And there's some free online material so that will do in the meantime.

8. Vausa412 Sep 19, 2017

Definitely, me too. Have a soft spot for both of them!

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 19, 2017

10. Paulomega Sep 20, 2017

Thank you so much for the info. I am also considering to purchase these two books, any opinions on them?

Complete Price Guide to Watches 2017
    Wristwatch Chronometers: Mechanical Precision Watches (Schiffer Book for Collectors)
    Is there any book that is good book for research on Constellation (Omega of course :() like the Moonwatch for the Speedmasters.

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 20, 2017

Two recommendations:

1. A Journey Through Time - out of print, but sometimes your local Omega Boutique can find one. Also, they generally have a copy on display to use as reference material.

2. 2007 OmegaMania CatalogPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network - Back in 2007, Antiquorum and Omega got together to have a massive auction of only Omega watches. The catalog was arranged by model line, and there is a sizable section on Constellations.

I still think Desmond’s Blog is the best place to go for information on specific models within the Constellation line.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

12. Paulomega Sep 23, 2017

The Blog is the best place to go and I ordered couple of the books. Thank you so much for your help.

Cheers

Paul

13. IDXM Sep 23, 2017

Wryfox likes this.
  14. Wryfox Sep 23, 2017

Well that book was what really got me ramped up on timepieces...particularly because I had several pocketwatches already. This book is mostly about pocketwatches, and rather thin on wristwatches. But It is very good re movements and history. I still have my 2010 edition on my desk.

IDXM likes this.
  15. panaitchrono Sep 25, 2017

I asked a similar question and a member of this forum suggest to read The Theory of Horology..now I'm looking for it..:)

16. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Sep 25, 2017

About time for an updated version of the 2007 hardcover Omega A Journey Through Time ... an excellent book, but could do with better photographs