Forums Latest Members

Listing Review - Seamaster 2254.50 [REAL] or [FAKE]?

1. ZayyAUS Aug 9, 2017

I never bought any used watches and I'd like some expert opinion on this listing I've found on a 'trusted' website from a private seller. Here are the pictures i'm working with. ----> http://imgur.com/a/PpWLt

I'd like to know: 1) is the watch a replica? 2) are the papers legit? 3) is the dial original 4) has it been polished? 5) whats the condition compared to other Seamasters 6) what do you think its worth in its current condition with box and papers?

Cheers boys.

2. WatchVaultNYC Aug 9, 2017

With the given pix, looks totally legit to me. Probably "EXCELLENT" on the TZ scale

ZayyAUS likes this.
  3. ZayyAUS Aug 9, 2017

What really concerns me is the scuff on the 30 mark on the bezel. It seems like the pain is coming off or faded? I haven't seen that kind of damage on other Seamasters before O.O

4. WatchVaultNYC Aug 9, 2017

Its a scratch

ZayyAUS and jB1128 like this.
  5. jB1128 Aug 9, 2017

Looks like a very nice example.

I agree with @WatchVaultNYC, probably TZ "Excellent". And that's totally a scratch on the bezel, I don't think it detracts from the watch.

If it really bothers the OP, replacements aren't scarce.

Good luck!

ZayyAUS likes this.
  6. ZayyAUS Aug 9, 2017

Do you think its been polished? The clasp looks polished to me :cautious:

7. jB1128 Aug 9, 2017

Well, possibly, maybe even a bit likely...

The bracelet clearly has marks of wear, and I don't think it's too uncommon for the clasp and/or bracelet to have had light brushing (polishing) to eliminate desk dives, etc. At any rate, I'd personally want full disclosure on that. I have a 2254.50, and I purchased it from a OF member who was very up front with the brushing/polishing of the bracelet.

It's a tool watch and looks great with a bit of wear, methinks...:cool:

Final note: I noticed that there weren't any movement shots. IMHO verifying that it has the proper 1120 movement (and it looks clean, while assuming it needs servicing - unless otherwise stated with paperwork...) is much more critical than a bit of cosmetic work on the bracelet and clasp.

Good luck!

8. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 10, 2017

It has documentation of a recent full OSC service so of course it received a polish as that is included with the cost but it will have been a very good polish which should have returned it to showroom spec, not some backstreet buff on a wheel otherwise used for shoe heels. The clasps on these scratch up as soon as you look at them and always need work to look that good.

Yes the watch is right, yes the condition is good. Value? On a forum maybe circa £1600, retail probably circa £2000. I have one exactly like it minus the scratch and wouldn't part with it for less.

MikiJ likes this.
  9. WatchVaultNYC Aug 10, 2017

It does not look like the watch was polished by Omega, or it was heavily worn after the service. The tips of the lugs clearly have fresh nicks, and the bracelet has been brushed over recently by the owner because the brush marks are pretty haphazard. Not sure if Omega cleans up the bezel but the edge of the bezel has seen a lot of love.

That said I've had one of these in a really beat up state, and it still looked great.

10. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 10, 2017

Servicing at OSC Southampton includes case refinishing in the cost so unless they actively asked for it to not be done, which is unlikely in a modern piece then it would have been polished. The service was conducted in July 2016 so the nicks and scratches you are seeing presumably happened in the year or so since the service, it does look to me perfectly in keeping with a watch professionally polished a year ago and worn carefully since. The brush on the clasp looks a little rounded suggesting to me, like it does to you, that it has been scotch brited more recently by the owner rather than a professional, again not unusual as the clasps scratch to hell.

My take: has it been polished? Yes professionally by Omega a year ago. Probably.
    And the clasp? Initially professionally then more recently less so by the owner as the scratches bugged him.
    Is this an issue?: No not really IMO.

Edited Aug 10, 2017
  11. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 10, 2017

IMO the lack of movement shots is perfectly acceptable in a recently serviced diver's watch like this since if you were to pop the back to take them, you would render the time remaining on the service warranty null and void and put the watch at risk of water ingress. As it is, it has a year remaining on the OSC warranty according to the paperwork. If you were really concerned you could maybe ring OSC Southampton and ask them to verify that service took place but I personally wouldn't bother.

Edited Aug 10, 2017