Forums Latest Members

Listening to your watch... Noise?

1. speedy57 Jan 24, 2016

Never noticed!..... Short of hearing my watch tick when placed at my ear, I was never able to hear the weight swing around on my autos with a little shake by the ear. OR, I never noticed it. Well, I just got one of my autos back from its first service and wow, can I hear the weight swing around. Can also hear a springy sound along with the ticking. Yes, I know what you'll say, "hey guy don't you know watches tick and have springs inside?" It's just odd I never noticed anything but ticking and now I can hear the weight swing around -sounds like on skateboard bearings (at the ear) with a faint twang in the background. SO, normal after a fresh service, or all the time, or am I nuts? Ok, don't answer the nuts part, already know the answer. Constructive input appreciated.

2. ulackfocus Jan 24, 2016

You should hear the rotor on the AP caliber 2120. Sounds like it's scraping all the time if you listen for it.

3. Faz Jan 24, 2016

What watch is this? If it's a late Daytona with a 4130 movement (as your pic) I would be concerned if its loud enough to hear without putting your ear to it..
    Having said that, many auto movements are quite noisy. Anything V-7750 based has quite the "sound" to it!

Cheers,

4. speedy57 Jan 24, 2016

Is it b/c it was just cleaned? Thinner oil? To hear what sounds like bearings and twang springs is weird. Never noticed it before. If it was there it is much louder for me to notice it now.

5. speedy57 Jan 24, 2016

Now I hear it on my zenith el primero, ( can swear I hear oil swishing around too on this one) and my new speedy racing too. But loudest on the 4130 cal Daytona in my avatar that just came back from service. Never heard it on that watch before! Cannot hear anything on my Milgauss, but it has that double case....

I guess it's all normal? But damn odd I never heard any of this before! I must be losing it to start hearing things! Voices may be next!

6. Faz Jan 24, 2016

Interesting....Of course if you put your ear right to it you'll hear all kinds of sounds.
    I used to own a brand new Z serial Daytona and one of the things I noticed was how quiet the rotor was in the 4130 compared to the Zenith movement. Who serviced it? If it's a Rolex service center I would inquire. Just for peace of mind. It might be as simple as you never noticing the noise before the service.

Cheers,

7. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jan 24, 2016

I hear dead people.

ahartfie, ulackfocus and Paedipod like this.
  8. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jan 24, 2016

I believe some 7750 based chronos have interesting rotor "wobbles" and other quirks.

9. italy1861 Jan 24, 2016

If the noises concern you, I wouldn't recommend looking at the dial of your watches through a loupe...

Paedipod likes this.
  10. speedy57 Jan 24, 2016

It was an authorized Rolex guy with a stellar reputation here. Not one of the big 3 Rolex centers. No he doesn't send off, does it all himself, but he is supposed to be fantastic. Know lots of folks who use him. So, I can't imagine he did anything wrong. I just never heard all that going on before, and now that I am listening, I can't imagine how I never heard all that. It bugs me.

11. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 24, 2016

The loudest (non-bumper) rotor I ever owned was a PP caliber 324... could hear it spinning even when driving my car.:eek:

No doubt a "feature" of the high-end movement. ::bleh::