Forums Latest Members
  1. eternalover Jan 4, 2020

still a newbie at this but having looked at a lot of 60s vintage Seamasters and constellations - still thinking of buying - it surprises me that the linen or sparkle dial versions always seem to be in great near mint condition are they more durable?

Can the st reference confirm the dial version?

2. Dr.Sascha Jan 6, 2020

Can't speak to the linen, but sparkle dials tend to be later watches (i.e. late-60s/early 70s), which helps. They're also dress watches, so less likely to be exposed to water (and perhaps even sunlight, being worn under cuffs). As for whether the paint on the dial itself is of a different composition, and whether they show patina less obviously, someone else would have to comment. In my experience lighter dials tend to patina more obviously (either spotting or yellowing). Black dials tend to fade or go tropical, the latter being an appeal for many. I prefer nice, glossy black dials myself ;)

DaveK and eternalover like this.
  3. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jan 6, 2020

Linen, or what Omega called "silky guilloche" dials when they were released are, as suggested above, from later models - generally 1966 onwards. Main issue on less coddled examples was lacquer powdering, but generally you don't see too many, if any in my recall, that have black or white spot or bubbling, so you may just be on the money with your observation.

ST denotes the case metal, in this case stainless steel.

Cheers

Desmond

wilderbeast and eternalover like this.
  4. eternalover Jan 8, 2020

Thanks all - Desmond I wasn’t clear - what I meant was is there a specific model reference for Seamaster or Connies with these dials eg st166.123 or 168.123.

Also is there a specific ref for Arabic indices on quarters, or at 10 2 4 8

Sorry if this is asked and answered already

John

5. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jan 8, 2020

No specific ref numbers.

Both Constellation and Seamaster had a range of dials including what Omega described at the time as deluxe dials. I believe both the silky guilloche and sparkle dials are what you would describe as deluxe.

Some models, e.g. the 168.023 golden Seamaster had a specific gold dial sparkle.

No changes in ref number for applied numerals on the quarter hour or any of the other configurations.

Cheers

Desmond

eternalover likes this.
  6. eternalover Jan 8, 2020

Thanks Desmond..much appreciated