Forums Latest Members

Let's throw this to the wolves...105.003 Dial Identification

1. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 4, 2016

Hi

Also members with some expert knowledge are not obligated to publish everything they learn. I can only speak for myself, I publish when time allows. For the last 7 years is been very infrequent due to other obligations.

The way people gain these insights is by a lot of hard work, years of observations , research and talking with other collectors of like minds. I cant force anyone to post or publish. Personally if I knew about a fake DON bezel I share it not sure the best way to do it .

Doing ones homework is a challenge. I would invest in a good set of books on the topic in question, read it from cover to cover multiple times . Then look at photos on line etc....

When I started to collect there was no Omega watch ref books, then the Moonwatch book by Omega and later in like 98
    Omega Designs: Feast for the Eyes ...

I have them all on my bookshelf.. There are so many more now...

But a good starting point is get some books ( I know old school) and then use the serach function of VARIOUS forums including here, TZ and Pursitpro, MWR , Vintage Rolex forum etc...

Good Hunting

Bill Sohne

sky21 and Tjmmartin like this.
  2. Optimizer13 Apr 4, 2016

You brought up this issue after my comment. So I will clarify that I did not attempt to restrict knowledge sharing but instead pointing out the unfortunate fact that redialers also learn from these discussions. Its a tradeoff.

I do not know many things about watches so I agree with you it would be nice if everybody can just spill out all their knowledge. However, you don't have the right to force people to share what they know (it takes many years for them to accumulate that knowledge -- books, discussions, etc). For example, the fact that they told that the bezel was bad (don't buy) is useful information for you right? After all, you say "redialers will find out eventually", you can also find out eventually.

Just my thought of why I don't get offended when people do that. Nothing personal against you, but hope this helps as a way to not feel offended.

Tjmmartin likes this.
  3. Tjmmartin Apr 4, 2016

I acknowledge the time and hard work taken by many to acquire knowledge and don't expect them to essentially publish an online resource via this forum. However what I cannot understand is members taking the time to reply to a post and inferring that they have further knowledge that they are unwilling to share with the forum.

4. Tjmmartin Apr 4, 2016

The quote I highlight wasn't actually a direct reply to an enquiry by me, it was posted on a thread I was following.

5. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 4, 2016

Hi Tjmmartin

I dont know exactly what happened in the past , but if it went down as you said it did I would consider that to be in poor form. I would just let it pass and push forward.

It is really tough to navigate the waters of on line fora but its a challenge worth taking on.

Its like eating at a buffet , the stuff you like you have a second helping, and the stuff you dislike you pass on.

Best regards

Bill

6. M'Bob Apr 4, 2016

Info sharing here is really like receiving an unearned gift: there a people that do a ton of private research, and then are kind enough to comment on something that either saves one time, money, or grief.

The "fake" issue is a tough one. The inclination here is to share knowledge in detail, but I do see the point that it just enables the fakers.

There is a compromise I see, but are people generally happy without explanatory details? In other words, if you ask a question about your dial authenticity, and 5 experts chime in that it is a re-dial, is that going to be enough? Would you trust that to make whatever decision you have to make, or are all the little nuances going to be necessary to feel comfortable? Because if the former will suffice, then we get what we want without having to expose exactly what we don't want the copiers to know.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  7. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 4, 2016

Hi M Bob

hmm is it enough to have a short binary reply to a watch? do you trust the experts without a detailed answer...?

It is hard. If someone were to ask " Hey what do you think of this watch ?" and If i thought it was not right or a fake , I would just reply I would not buy that with my money at that price or any... Simple enough answer.

And you can always PM the poster to get a more detailed answer and see if the poster will oblige.
    best

bill