Forums Latest Members

Let's throw this to the wolves...105.003 Dial Identification

1. Egatdagi Apr 3, 2016

May I point to the fact that you have less than 1000 posts?

2. ibis888 Apr 3, 2016

The negative and unconstructive comments posted by some are a disappointment to me, as I've come to view this forum (during my admittedly short time as a member) as a 'cut above' other forums out there.

Perhaps there is a backstory that I am unaware of, but I have personally purchased a watch from Kirill and found the experience to be nothing but transparent and straightforward. He took the time to answer multiple emails and even spoke on the phone with me - and was very clear with the pros and cons of the watch.

And PS - I feel that Spacefruit's post, as always, hits the nail on the head.

Edited Apr 3, 2016
    STANDY likes this.
  3. M'Bob Apr 3, 2016

Bill, you have made some excellent points, but this I think is just unrealistic. This is a community, and in any community, there will be relationships that develop, good and bad. And past interactions will inform, to some extent, feelings about a present topic. And while members should always endeavor to be civil, they should also not be crucified if they drag some old baggage into a post..

Modest_Proposal, OMGRLX and Archer like this.
  4. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Apr 3, 2016

Yes I realize that, maybe it's because I don't feel the need to post pointless comments.

5. Egatdagi Apr 3, 2016

touche

6. Optimizer13 Apr 3, 2016

One thing we can remind ourselves: this is clear warning sign that as speedmasters become popular, there are dedicated 'artists' who try to do these kind of things. Also, as you guys try to pinpoint the flaws, redialers will unfortunately learn and get better. Gotta be extra careful these days!

OMGRLX, SpikiSpikester and oddboy like this.
  7. tyrantlizardrex Apr 3, 2016

I think the best bit of advise when buying watches is to take your time, not rush into anything, and ask lots of questions.

Every day is a school day, and I think we all learned something from this thread.

8. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 3, 2016

M Bob
    Maybe I was not clear... Having a back story and asking not to post if you have under 1000 posts lead some to think only expert people should post. Why just not say , hey there is other stuff going on here that transpired long time ago ( heck I dont even know what or when we are talking about ).
    The key here it is an OPEN community and having back channel , behind the scenes stories really need to be open book , and if the original issue is unacceptable to be brought up, then it should not be brought up at all. NO back story etc...

Its pretty simple from where I see it, I have seen alot over the years in Flame wares etc...

Best thing to do at this point , I would suggest let this thread die , if you want to discuss the means and methods of an on line community please email or pm me ... I post under my real name and not hiding anything.

Good Hunting

Bill Sohne

Spacefruit likes this.
  9. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Apr 3, 2016

If you are not comfortable buying from kirill just buy from the hodinkee shop I am sure all of their watches are perfect and bargained priced

x3no and DLT222 like this.
  10. Tjmmartin Apr 3, 2016

Sorry, but I do not understand the argument of not disclosing all indicators of a redial, fake etc for fear of giving information to those who produce such articles ( this is an attitude I have come across on a couple of previous threads from different members who have voiced their concerns in this thread ). I believe this forum is an information resource for all and holding back such knowledge from those who make an effort to learn more undermines the value and ethos of the site. Just my thoughts as a casual observer who accepts he in not a main player or contributor.

OMGRLX likes this.
  11. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 3, 2016

Hi TJ
    I am in agreement with a lot of the members here. Members pointed out some of the issues. Basically once you know one or two your good to go on to be able to pass on a watch. But for the posters who want a end all be all post with EVERY point detailed out , that is a cheat sheet for the repro artist. That is a fact and they do search the net and will find this info . No reason to make it easy for them.

Just a thought

Good Hunting

Bill Sohne

oddboy likes this.
  12. TNTwatch Apr 3, 2016

Well, in order to keep secret from the repro artists, I will not disclose more details, that I have, than already revealed in this thread on why the dial's finish is not original. ;) I will even go further and say with certainty that this dial is not even a genuine Omega dial at worst, or at least never been a real Speedmaster dial in its life at best. This is already much more than Bill has commented on the dial so I'll stop here. :D

Bill Sohne likes this.
  13. Tjmmartin Apr 4, 2016

I've been a casual observer of the forum since 2013 with a particular interest in Speedmasters. I've looked at tons of photos and have a 105.003 and 105.012. The dial being discussed has issues that even I can pick out, however there are clearly subtle issues that even after nearly 3 years of looking at photos on a weekly basis I can't pick up. I have doubts about my 105.012 dial and have sought input from the forum with no joy. I'm confident that redialers will pick up all subtleties in the fullness of time anyway, in the mean time "noobs" - which I still am after 3 years - will continue to visit the site hoping to avoid being stung but find that information to them is limited - and worse will soon discover that information is out there but restricted to a few. Just an opinion, not meant to be inflammatory.

OMGRLX and Psych like this.
  14. Tjmmartin Apr 4, 2016

But so do "noobs" like me with honest intentions. i have no problem with the forum limiting information, however if it does then it should be made quite clear and transparent to individuals visiting the site hoping to learn more about Omegas that information will be restricted to some degree and accusations that it is a boys club would be difficult to argue against.

15. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 4, 2016

Bear in mind that the forum is not "limiting information" - there's no central committee setting the limits of every discussion, the discussions are organic collections of what members decide to post.

What you're seeing is one of the many debates collectors have with themselves. It's a discussion that probably has no final answer, about how to balance the learning process with protecting the community & hobby in the long term.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  16. Tjmmartin Apr 4, 2016

I agree it is difficult, I'm just of the opinion that redialers will find out eventually and in the meantime "noobs" will get stung despite their best efforts to research. I stirred up a little discussion regarding DON's a little while ago, the most disappointing response being from a long term member who said he actually knew a source of fake DON's and how to spot them but wouldn't disclose any further information...not a particularly helpful message to new visitors to the site.
    See quote below-
    "no, will not disclose that. these informations include carefully nursed contacts over decades. you have to do your own homework"

Edited Apr 4, 2016
  17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 4, 2016

I hope this applies to all of us, male or female.

Cheers

Jim

Bill Sohne likes this.
  18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 4, 2016

Thread can die now, dealer thought he had a prototype i helped him see he didnt and it was always a redial.. move on nothing to see.

Funny dealers only come for technical advice never pricing advice ::confused2::

gemini4 likes this.
  19. michael e Still learning. Apr 4, 2016

The comment about dealers just isn't true.
    I come on here for everything to do with Omega watches, not just to ask advice but to look at other peoples watches too and maybe help if I can.
    A dealer can be a collector also and just as passionate about watches as any other collector.
    There is plenty of dealer bashing goes on all over forums, some dealers are bad just as some collectors are bad too.
    Bad dealers or snakes as I call them always get outed or are known by collectors as the ones to avoid.
    I don't think the OP would have tried to pull the wool over anyone's eyes on this forum, you would have to be crazy to try that.

20. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 4, 2016

I agree with Michael.

There are several instances of dealers like George canvassing views on pricing, particularly on uncommon pieces that rarely come on the market. It happens mostly in private, but it definitely happens.

JimInOz and tyrantlizardrex like this.