Forums Latest Members

Let's throw this to the wolves...105.003 Dial Identification

1. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 2, 2016

Can we make it into a 'post your redone speedy dial' thread?

gemini4 and dougiedude like this.
  2. rbob99 Apr 2, 2016

+
    Point taken. I'm standing down.

3. KRLYUZH Apr 2, 2016

Ok, I'm staying away, I'm under 1000.

We accomplished nothing but e-thugging over here and a claim that the dial is refinished without supporting evidence.

Thanks for your input, boys.

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 3, 2016

Your the seller its up to you to prove you and your goods are not dodgy.

Then you get reputation for being trustworthy.

You have proved nothing

Fact that you called US wolves shows how ignorant and arrogant you are.

5. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Apr 3, 2016

Whoa whoa here let's all just take a breather...

6. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Apr 3, 2016

Kyrill, even though I've had my own past issues with you, I've remained neutral in this thread.
    But seriously, what do you expect OF members to do for you?
    Travel to Ho Chi Minh City and find the shop that fabricated your dial?

lando, lenny, OMGRLX and 2 others like this.
  7. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Apr 3, 2016

is this thread topic similar to the one where the guy had a 'prototype' dial jedi? :)

8. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 3, 2016

speedy ed white redone.jpg

These small deformations on surface of fine circular subdial finish tickles my "redial sense"as much as the perfect Tritium appearance.
    Definitely not factory standard, more like somebody has scrap the original paint, then reapplied another layer of base paint.

Etp095, Willem023, lando and 9 others like this.
  9. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 3, 2016

Right guys,

The OP asked for opinions on something he is unsure of, after all we would all do the same no?

What I don't expect is a public bashing of a respected seller who wants an answer to something so he does not mislead anyone in his sales post. He could have listed it as a genuine dial etc but he has been very open. Granted he doesn't post much but I'm sure that without him and some of the other dealers, you wouldn't have some of the speedys you have!

No one is perfect and things can go wrong in a transaction as we have seen recently, I clearly upset someone.

Now please stop trying to hang, draw and quarter the guy because once one person starts its like follow my lead.

Keep it on topic, failure to do so will see the thread locked and every member that's out of order issued a warning.

This is not a forum where we pull people to pieces.

Thanks

D

10. Davidt Apr 3, 2016

I'm not entirely sure why we can't have an objective discussion about this dial, just like countless times before.

I'm usually less concerned about redials on Speedys, as they're much less common, the dials seem to hold up better, service dials are available and the redials I have seen have been pretty poor.

That said, I'm swaying towards redial in this instance. The with the font, applied logo, close T's, and flat dial, it doesn't seem to display the characteristics of a single period. Instead it's rather a mish mash of different years.

On the whole, the finish does look decent enough, but the font is slightly too thick, issues on sub dial and a lot of the minute markers are uneven.

Redial for me I'm afraid.

x3no, Optimizer13, lando and 2 others like this.
  11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 3, 2016

He is a dealer of vintage speedies but he is unsure
    So he can ask the wolves wanting to buy his unsure stuff...::facepalm2::::facepalm2::

Im out of this thread you got my opinion and he opened his own can by stating he does not think its a rediala

12. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 3, 2016

We can all have a discussion but bringing in past problems is not needed and unwanted.

Be constructive and help not give him a bashing!

Yes he is a dealer and unsure hence why he is asking. It's impossible to know everything!

13. tyrantlizardrex Apr 3, 2016

I think I have to agree on this point.

That "hollow bubble" effect is something you see on painted metal finishes where there's been corrosion or damage that's been cleaned out but not filled back in - as the grooved pattern is on the subdials, obviously the cavities could not be filled without losing the grooves.

The alignment of the white markers on the bottom subdial is also off, with some out of edge, and some overlapping into the centre.

The marker on the right hand dial at 20 is not straight... I've yet to see a factory dial with a wobbly line.

I have no axe to grind, and have not bought from you, so please take this in the spirit intended (answering your question), but I'm relatively certain that you have a redial here. A pretty good one, but a redial.

Georgieboy58, chronos and al128 like this.
  14. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 3, 2016

First I have to say that this is a community of enthusiasts sharing information. As we share it freely, it is irksome to feel a trader might just be coming here to gain knowledge that will further his business. I am NOT saying traders are not welcome, they are - some are notable contributors without whom this forum would be a lesser place.

I am afraid the OP has rather shot himself in the foot first off. He refers to himself in the first sentence as a) a non contributor by choice, and b) a trader who runs a business selling to members of this forum, through this forum.

I am afraid that any trader asking for advice who comes here has to be absolutely on best behavior AND not be seen to be taking more that he gives, OR expect a certain amount of stick from members. Certainly if I was a trader who didn't know this was a redial then I would be somewhat circumspect approaching a large community on whom I hoped in the future to sell watches to based on my integrity and knowledge.

Let me also say this. I welcome anyone, because everyone has something to offer. If I don't like a thread, or a person, I simply stop contributing to the thread.I have far better things to throw my keyboard at than this forum.

I am pleased to see this thread. Fascinating to see odd dials. And great to hear from a trader not in a sales post. I would love to see more non sales posts from @KRLYUZH as I bet he has some interesting things pass through!

In this forum you need to be a part, not apart.

repoman, chronos, Garv and 15 others like this.
  15. danomar Apr 3, 2016

I have begun to really like this forum, but when threads like this threaten to devolve into accusations, I begin to like it less.

16. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 3, 2016

We all have a part to play in preventing a slide in the culture. Nobody wants to end up with a WUS style level of discourse, where the signal to noise ratio becomes a turn off.

Georgieboy58, rbob99, Larry S and 7 others like this.
  17. Fost Apr 3, 2016

My watchmaker has still tritium powder in stock and is able to relume dial perfectly so the fact that tritium is detected on the dial is not really a proof of non-redial.
    My 2 cents

speedy4ever and marturx like this.
  18. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Apr 3, 2016

Too late...

19. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 3, 2016

I understand this is logical consequence as OF become bigger and more influential. Kudos for Mods who work hard to preserve the culture and enviroment. Balanced approach is the best :thumbsup:

repoman likes this.
  20. TomGW Apr 3, 2016

Well that's the like of me told off.