Forums Latest Members

Let's see those watches at the World Series!

1. jsg1976 Oct 26, 2016

[​IMG]

My Planet Ocean GMT at Game 1 (won in spectacular fashion by the Indians).

Go Tribe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ctime3, SamQue, gemini4 and 3 others like this.
  2. meganfox17 Oct 26, 2016

Quick Question[emoji68]

Why do you refer to the annual championship series of MLB as
    " World Series ? "

BrianMcKay and gemini4 like this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 26, 2016

Because you can't really call it the United States Series when half the players are from Latin America :)

Congrats though, between the Cavs & Indians you guys in Cleveland must almost be able to pretend the Browns don't exist at this point lol

Atalien2005 and jv91 like this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 26, 2016

And also not all teams are in the Untied States...just a reminder for the one who lacks focus...

[​IMG]

;)

Darlinboy and jv91 like this.
  5. jimmyd13 Oct 26, 2016

I always thought that it was due to the sponsorship or partonage of the New York World newspaper but Snopes seems to disagree and it's simply down to baseball wanting to pretend it was a world sport, not just a North American one. (That was mean of me). But if that wasn't enough to press a few American buttons we can always start to explain how it's really just Rounders. ;)

meganfox17 likes this.
  6. ulackfocus Oct 26, 2016

Thank you so much.

7. ulackfocus Oct 26, 2016

Because of huge American egos. We believe we are the best at baseball, and we invented the game. Just like we're the best at hamburgers, hotdogs, and electing buffoons to office.

Okay, we certainly don't have a monopoly on that last one.

BrianMcKay, meganfox17 and Jwit like this.
  8. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Oct 26, 2016

Our world presently consists of a few cities scattered across the 48 contiguous states, and one city in Canada. It's a small world, after all :)

There is a true, world-wide baseball tournament held every four years for professional players. The United States' best finish so far in this tournament is 4th place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Baseball_Classic

BrianMcKay, Jwit and meganfox17 like this.
  9. meganfox17 Oct 26, 2016

■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□

I don't want to spark a lively debate on the forum Sir / @ulackfocus & it ends here . Surely USA is the undisputed Sports Super-Powerhouse. Heck ! I always supported Team USA ! With the risk of incurring your wrath , What if World Series means Global Series ? And What if USA lost a World Series ? The greatest can be poor losers too with headlines screaming "We Were Robbed "
    " History was Mistaken " , "Stolen Glory" when an American game takes Centre Stage

It's like really weird but i only have vivid memories of games of the highest order & of great controversies , alas always ending in agony & tears for the US but for the Non Americans, it's games like these that will forever be remembered

■Munich Summer Olympics 1972 Basket Ball Finals for the Gold
    USA 50 USSR 51

■Winter Olympics 1980 Lake Placcid
    Ice Hockey Finals for the Gold
    "Miracle on Ice" USA 3 USSR 10

P/S -The American Basketball Dream Team of 1992 lead by MJ is arguably the greatest sports team that was ever assembled ! The 2nd is the 1970 Brazilian FIFA World Cup team lead by Pele

10. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 26, 2016

In the US, almost all league champions are called "world champions". It's been that way for the 50 years I have been on this planet. Baseball, basketball and 'american football' -- all self-proclaimed "world champions". I find it funny, especially since some sports truly do have world championships at the club level (i.e. soccer/ football/ footie)

meganfox17 likes this.
  11. ulackfocus Oct 26, 2016

Well, don't worry about the US ever claiming a World Title for soccer.

Jwit and jcmartinez98 like this.
  12. ulackfocus Oct 26, 2016

@jsg1976 - if you're trying to make some of us jealous, it's working.

Keep on posting those WS photos!

13. Pakiwi Oct 26, 2016

Ok as a Kiwi one of the big battles between America and New Zealand was the Americas Cup in Yacht Sailing. Won first by Australia in 1983 and New Zealand in 95. Perhaps this should have been renamed at the time though America refers to the first boat that won it. Maybe the World Series will become more inclusive.
    Seem this is an Omega Forum Shout out to a great Kiwi Captain Sir Peter Blake who was taken way to early...

BrianMcKay and jimmyd13 like this.
  14. jsg1976 Oct 26, 2016

Not a watch pic, but here's a panorama of Progressive Field during the national anthem

[​IMG]

Jwit likes this.
  15. w.finkenstaedt Oct 26, 2016

[​IMG]

Love that man and the watches he gave us...

Jwit and Pakiwi like this.
  16. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Oct 26, 2016

Miss Megan, I don't think your memory is overly vivid. FYI, The 1980 USA Olympic Hockey team defeated the USSR 4-3 in the semifinals. Team USA then defeated Finland to win the gold medal. After all, why call it a "Miracle" if we lost??

I think you might be confusing a earlier pre Olympic exhibition in which USSR defeated team USA.

You are correct regarding the 1972 Gold medal basketball game when the referee stole the game from the USA. I believe, to this day, the USA players have not collected their silver medals.

BrianMcKay and Jwit like this.
  17. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 26, 2016

We're getting into national teams now, vs league champions who claim to be 'world champions' despite never playing teams outside their own country of continent.

BrianMcKay likes this.
  18. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Oct 26, 2016

The Baseball Championship has been referred to the "World Series" since 1884. Tradition runs stong and the name will never be changed. Under President Trump, baseball will remain the same however the world will change.

IMG_5150.PNG

BrianMcKay, alam, Jwit and 2 others like this.
  19. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 26, 2016

^^ that is awesome :D

20. meganfox17 Oct 26, 2016

Hi @gemini4

I Apologize Sir. My Bad .I should have rechecked the facts before posting it on the thread. You are absolutely right . The "Miracle on Ice USA defeated the Mighty Soviets 4/3 on the 22th Feb 1980. I was wrong & mistook that game for another pre match exhibition encounter between the two 2 weeks earlier at Madison square where USSR came out tops. But USSR did win the Ice Hockey Gold in Sarajevo 1984 defeating the Chechoslavakia 2: 0 in the final.
    Yeah , You're right about the unclaimed 12 silver medals still lying in a vault in a Swiss Bank

gemini4 likes this.