Forums Latest Members

Let's See Those 46mm Universals!

1. BenClymer Editor of Hodinkee.com Aug 8, 2014

Hi Guys,

As you know, i am an avid (maybe "rabid" is a better term?) hunter of pre-Val 72 Universals. This week I scored something I'd been hunting for years, and purchased a 46mm Compax. But, what makes it so special to me is that it is one of a very few double-signed 46mm watches. And, the reason I'd been particularly interested in this watch is because the retailer, Gumbiner, was actually a New York store!

Without further ado, here is the watch:
    [​IMG]

And the store, Gumbiner, which I've never seen on another Universal, was a long-time retailer of some fantastic watches including Patek Philippe (as seen here on this 1463 (pic via my friend Corrado M.)

[​IMG]

Of course, Universal and Patek were distributed by the same company at the time (HSWA) so it would make sense that this features the name of a Patek retailer. However, we always hear that these gigantic watches were seldom sold publicly, which makes this one so interesting as it is very clearly a consumer-oriented watch, despite the over sized case, luminous hands and luminous dial. Now, because it was sold in New York, that means it had to have gone through Henri Stern, so I am going to see if my friends there can provide some information on it. Stay tuned on that note, and if there are any other 46mm UG Compaxes out there, I'd surely love to see them.

One final note on Gumbiner....here is a clipping from May, 1920, with a story of a robbery at the Upper West Side retailer.
    [​IMG]

GeraldLui, J-Luc, Waynepjr and 6 others like this.
  2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 8, 2014

Great post, Ben. That sort of thing still went on until very recently at Broadway and 105th.:D

And great Universalone (as our Italian friends may call it) too. I have to ask for a wrist shot.

And I second the call to post any others out there. Zenittones welcome too, of course.

BenClymer likes this.
  3. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Aug 8, 2014

An excellent score!

For being a 46mm, I hear the model is surprisingly wearable on less-than-huge wrists.

That's a keeper. UG pulled it off well, as they always tend to do.

BenClymer likes this.
  4. BenClymer Editor of Hodinkee.com Aug 8, 2014

Thanks very much, Lou!

As requested, here is my big guy on the wrist the first day I could call him mine. I spent the day driving some beautiful old cars through Bear Mountain and this chronograph was right at home.

[​IMG]

5. opahman Aug 8, 2014

Great score Ben! May you enjoy it for many years to come.
    Best,
    Ira

6. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Aug 8, 2014

That watch is a piece for autumn, to be worn over a flight jacket Berlusconi-style. Glorious example.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 8, 2014

Very nice, I know we've seen a couple of those from other members before in that size but I don't ever remember seeing one with lugs like that, even on a 40mm watch they look huge, and the three facets to them clearly haven't been polished, that's a very well cared for piece.

8. Waynepjr Aug 8, 2014

Very pleasing to the eyes yet not have that hockey puck look of the giants we are so accustomed to seeing. Large, yes but not obscene as so many of today's offers have become. This is vintage large scale at its finest. Classic!

Wayne

9. johngage Aug 9, 2014

Very beautiful !!! Wear it in good health...

10. ELV web Aug 9, 2014

Umm, am I allowed to call DIBs....

11. nfranco Aug 13, 2014

Very nice, congratulations, thank you for sharing.
    What are the longer marks at three, six and nine on the minute subdial for?

12. ELV web Aug 14, 2014

Hi Ben,

btw, I am a fan of your writings. Was wandering NYC today based on your 2010 recommendation of the watch shops. I went to the alltiques antiques in china town. He actually moved shop from one corner of the block to the other. It is still there and I met john who is really knowledgeable with watches. He got a nice Medico compax in his inventory, but the hour hand was incorrect else I would have snatched it.

image.jpg
  13. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 14, 2014

Waddaya mean "Mexico Compax"? UG made some kind of tortilla timer?

Fernajm likes this.
  14. ELV web Aug 14, 2014

actually it is more of those jalapeño overdose pulse taker. Hahahaha, okay sorry, autocorrect really is a bummer sometimes. Thanks for noticing Lou, and I just corrected it.

15. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 14, 2014

Ah! I'm a little disappointed actually :(

16. akim1220 Nov 2, 2014

What is the exact model of this watch? I have been looking but have not been able to findfind it

17. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Nov 3, 2014

The Oversized Universalone? Ref. 22430

18. M.D. Nov 3, 2014

There are different theories as to the purpose of those longer markers. Others here who are in the know I'm sure can elaborate. The two theories I know of are:
    • To assist people with timing American long distance calls in intervals of 3 minutes
    • To assist with nautical or aviation navigation by making it easier to track time and speed in intervals that divide into 60 minutes
    Here's a link to a discussion on the topic on another forum.

To the mods, please feel free to administer the appropriate punishment if linking to another forum is frowned upon.

nfranco likes this.
  19. omega67 Nov 3, 2014

Very cool watch and the straps conceal the pretty nice shaped - but long lugs. Thanks for showing!

20. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 3, 2014

not the least bit frowned upon. We're different here :)