Forums Latest Members
  1. paulw Aug 29, 2018

30-omega-seamaster-wristwatch-dial.jpg in the couple of weeks since I found this forum?
    Initially, I'd have been happy with this watch as a great example of a early 50's Seamaster 2761, with a Cal 420 movement.
    30-omega-seamaster-wristwatch-inside-case.jpg 30-omega-seamaster-wristwatch-movement.jpg 30-omega-seamaster-wristwatch-winder.jpg
    Now what I see is a refinished dial, with the slight variation in the letter size height and width of the OMEGA and a marginally over polished case, especially at the strap lugs. Though the asking price with the description of 'restored' I think is about right at £440 ($570ish) with a 6 month guarantee from a dealer. I'd also like to see a picture of the outside of the back to see the state of the 'Seamaster' & 'Waterproof' engravings as well before I bought it. How did I do?
    Paul

ConElPueblo likes this.
  2. Co-axial Aug 29, 2018

Up to you but refinished dials are best avoided.

3. ChrisN Aug 29, 2018

The movement is also a very odd colour. I would say this watch is not a good example and the price is far too high. A six month warranty is not much use either, in my opinion. Who is the dealer?

Cheers, Chris

gdupree likes this.
  4. Dan S Aug 29, 2018

They didn't even bother to put lume back on the dial. Lugs are polished. I just don't have any interest in this watch.

gdupree and Marty McDawg like this.
  5. ConElPueblo Aug 29, 2018

The price is ridiculous, but your assessment is good. How "marginally" over polished the case is can be a subjective point, but here I'd say that it is too much. The bezel is completely rounded, but should have a noticeable edge. The starch white dial is a clear give-away for a redial.

gdupree and 89-0 like this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 29, 2018

The white balance is odd on the photo - colour corrected photo...

colour.jpg
    If you look under the crown wheel, ratchet wheel, and click, it's still copper coloured, so this appears to be a movement where the plating has largely come off. Not terribly unusual.

The movement doesn't look particularly clean...

7. paulw Aug 29, 2018

Thanks for all the comments - I wouldn't actually buy this watch, I just thought it was interesting that after a short while on here I've got a totally different perspective on how I view them. So consider it time well spent reading the various threads, great knowledge being imparted and quite a bit of entertainment too;)
    The only reason I landed here was to find somewhere to get my Seamaster looked at and (shock horror) I'm actually thinking of having the dial restored:eek: and even the case polished:eek::eek:. But this is why I want to personally talk to whoever does the work so I can make sure it will meet my requirements, had the watch for 35 years, so don't expect to ever get rid of it :)
    Paul

8. michael22 Aug 29, 2018

That price is almost OK for a great example. Factor in a worthless dial, badly worn case, badly worn movt.
    Not much left to put a $ on.

9. paulw Aug 29, 2018

So not learnt very much after all! Guess I'll keep reading.
    Paul

10. ChrisN Aug 29, 2018

What's the Seamaster and do you have a picture of the dial? There might be an original one out there - nicer idea than a restoration.

Cheers, Chris

11. paulw Aug 29, 2018

OK you asked for it - but it isn't pretty!
    I understand its a CAL: 861 & model ST 145.0029 but that's based on the Omega website as I've never seen inside.
    oa3.jpg
    Paul

Lonestar likes this.
  12. paulw Aug 29, 2018

Perhaps I should start a new thread for 'The worst aged dial' ?
    Paul

13. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Aug 29, 2018

You will already have appreciated that the OF posters fall into different categories. In brief, there is the devout collector who's grail is an untouched vintage watch and, at the other end of the collection spectrum, the enthusiast who loves watches but wants a piece of vintage wrist candy, that may or may not have been 'restored'.
    Earlier threads have drawn the comparison with vintage car enthusiasts, who rebuild, respray and restore, with those who seek and retain only original and untouched car parts.
    Many of us fall in between those extremes, in a myriad of idiosyncratic sub-categories.
    You’ll have to decide for yourself what you want out of watches.

Lonestar and michael22 like this.
  14. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Aug 29, 2018

Just noticed my 400 post :)

15. paulw Aug 29, 2018

I don't see the point in owning something that isn't usable because of its total originality, the car analogy doesn't really work IMO as there are loads of restored cars worth far more than the rusty pile of scrap found in a barn. Guess I'm in the wrist candy group, which is why I'll probably get a restored dial & polished case - probably need to get the dent's where it was caught with a chisel laser welded first though!
    Paul

Spruce likes this.
  16. ChrisN Aug 29, 2018

I'd agree that it's got issues... I'd also wonder about the 861 that appears to be in there as it might be a mess as well. Best to get it opened before spending any money on it. It's not a common Seamaster so you may struggle to get a dial.

@toddle321 was selling some 861 dials earlier this year but I don't know if anything is left.

Cheers, Chris

17. paulw Aug 29, 2018

Issues is a nice way of putting it :).
    I did think I'd not worn it for the last ten years when I bought my Eco-Drive, but turns out it was 13 years ago now according to the purchase receipt. Anyway, ran it for three days and it kept perfect time, then let it wind down and put it back in the box. I'll probably get the dial refurbished the more I think about it as I wouldn't wear it in its current state and of course a full service.
    Paul

18. michael22 Aug 29, 2018

That dial is kind of nice enough that I would wonder if it could be improved a bit, rather than redialed. Not sure where to start , though.

19. paulw Aug 29, 2018

I did ask the dial restorer if just the blue area could be redone and the white element's just cleaned (still waiting for a response) though hands (especially the hour marker) and battens do need a serious looking at as well. The printing on the sub dials and outer are still clear and sharp and even though the case is beaten it has never been polished, but there is a sizeable dent between the crown & re-set plunger, so I feel room for some polishing. I'll get the correct tool to open up the back and look - post pictures here if I think there may be excessive problems that would preclude sorting with a simple service.
    Anyway, another few horror picture, but of the case. o7.jpg
    o2.jpg
    oa1.jpg
    Paul

20. Edward53 Aug 29, 2018

I'm not usually a fan of redialling, but in this case I would also do what you suggest if it were my watch and if (a big if!) I could find a restorer good enough to blend in the blue background. The rusted areas are not attractive, and you won't be touching the text which is what generally makes redials look bad, in fact this is one of those rare occasions where you could legitimately call such work a restoration. Assuming of course that you can't find a good original dial. Just my opinion and some may see it differently, but I think you'd be doing the right thing.