Forums Latest Members
  1. Holdman May 29, 2019

Dear watch friends,
    I am not completely new to the world of watches, but rather a newbie when it comes to vintage Omegas.
    I am asking for a little help to identify this watch. I inherited it of my beloved father. I really like the wear/ patina the dial got over the years, it reminds of a galaxy with stars in it.By the way, the strap doesn't seem to be original anymore!

IMG_20190526_175629.jpg

IMG_20190526_175645.jpg

I would like to get this watch serviced, want to buy a new strap and maybe add just a tiny bit of gloss to this watch by renewing the crystal.

Coming to my question:
    I have researched quite a bit, looking at a lot of different pictures, browsing the official Omega vintage section, but I didn't come to a conclusion. I still don't know the reference/ production year/ caliber number of this watch.
    I thought it might be a ST 166.0163?
    I noticed that the hands have blunt and not pointy ends. Also the 12 o'clock index is rather distinct.
    These are quite unique attributes that caught my eye comparing the humongous amounts of pictures.
    It has a screwback case, but sadly I don't have the required tools to open it.

What do you guys think?
    Let me know!

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 29, 2019

All the information is on the caseback and movement.

stahlmotte, Mark020 and Holdman like this.
  3. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 29, 2019

Very dark/ dirty stains around the markers and date window. Would be interesting to see the dial when out of the case.

Holdman likes this.
  4. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers May 29, 2019

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear if your father has passed, though wonderful to have his watch to enjoy. I agree, the dial looks great, and a leather strap would make the damage just seem like very confident patina. It looks like the crystal would polish up with polywatch, and wouldn’t need to be replaced - if the service hasn’t been done in a while then the watchmaker could give it a clean-up. Speaking of a watchmaker, s/he could open yours up to see the ref # inside the case back. Send us photos of that and the movement! I’d love to see the next photos with a cleaned up crystal and new strap

Holdman likes this.
  5. Holdman Jun 1, 2019

Hey guys!
    Today I finally got the opportunity to open the case and found all necessary details concerning the caliber and reference.
    IMG_20190601_204603.jpg IMG_20190601_204522.jpg

It is a 166.0098 with a cal. 1481. Hence the production year seems to be 1972. I will make an appointment with a local watch dealer, who took care of a vintage omega of a good friend of mine. I found out that the crystal is still the original one, so I guess that I will have it polished. I would like to get the lume of this watch fixed/ replaced, because I think it would add to the galaxy/ star theme I mentioned in my first post. I will have the rest of the watch untouched except for a movement routine check, a new strap and a fresh seal.

I will upload photos of the "new" watch aswell.

Cheers!

6. michael22 Jun 1, 2019

I would leave the lume alone. It will never look quite right, IMO.
    Your choice though.

That movt. looks great, no dirt getting in.

Holdman likes this.
  7. Edward53 Jun 3, 2019

+1.

Holdman likes this.