Forums Latest Members
  1. PaulHelmuth Jan 26, 2020

Greetings All,

So this is actually the second vintage Omega that I purchased (though I posted the third before this one).

The reason that I posted the 3rd one (ref. 14713) before this one - is that it was another 30 mm (Cal. 268) and this is a Cal 620 (ref. 111.0004).

I wanted to get a little more experience with the vintage Omega movements before attempting anything with the 620. It's size (small) was very intimidating and it's yet another movement that I haven't seen before.

Fortunate or not - I didn't take as many pictures of this as I would have liked. First, because I was more concerned about what I was doing than taking pictures - and secondly, because I ended up doing almost everything under the microscope - and since I can't easily take usable pictures with my "scope" - switching back and forth between pictures and working was a hassle.

This watch was an eBay "win". Auctioned by Goodwill of southern NJ and PA. They didn't post very good photos - so I won with a bid of $183.50. I assume that's at least a bit below market for this - but don't really know.

Here are the auction listing pics...
    s-l500.jpg
    s-l500 (2).jpg
    s-l500 (1).jpg

After receiving the watch, I was really happy to find that the photos weren't hiding anything. Overall, I consider it to be in really nice shape.

A quick look on the timegrapher showed less than stellar traces - but not terrible either. Sorry, but I don't have any "before" pics. The traces weren't all over the place - but they weren't straight lines either.

I was hoping a little cleaning would take care of it - and spoiler alert - I think it did.

As I stripped the watch, my impression was that it was really clean (and it was) - and the oil was liquid and clean. Was probably a little over-oiled in most spots.

The one exception is - the escape wheel! :eek:

The escape wheel had enough oil on it to drowned a small mammal. Consequently, it had a truck load of crap stuck to it. So, that ended up being the main "correction".

Here are the pics that I did take - for what they are worth. Focus on some is a little off - but still get a decent sense of the parts...
    P1192159.jpg
    P1192160.jpg
    P1252164.jpg

If you look closely at this pic - you can see a huge piece of crap stuck to a leg of the escape wheel on the exit side. There were actually a few such pieces "attached" (only by the oil) to the escape wheel. Yet the rest of the movement was very clean.
    P1252165.jpg
    P1252167.jpg
    P1252169.jpg
    P1252171.jpg
    P1252172.jpg
    P1252173.jpg
    P1252174.jpg
    P1252175.jpg
    P1252177.jpg

Following a little adjustment and reassembly - the traces now look great by comparison to where they started.
    P1262179.jpg
    P1262182.jpg

-Paul

s-l500 (3).jpg
    Vitezi, dx009 and kkt like this.
  2. lindo Jan 27, 2020

Small IS beautiful.

PaulHelmuth and Vitezi like this.