Forums Latest Members

Leonidas Triple Calendar - info request

1. leonarth Aug 26, 2018

hi!!
    i have this watch, it belonged to my grandfather.. and i like to know more, you can tell me something about it? :)
    I'd like to bring it back like new with a completed service.

So let me know !
    thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TexOmega likes this.
  2. TexOmega Aug 26, 2018

Well, you nailed it.....It is a watch:D And Welcome.

What has your research shown? Where and why did your grandfather buy such a cool specimen?

1940's-1950's era triple date with Moonphase complication

Leonidas was a top tier manufacturer of solid chronographs and watches in that era.

Appears to have had some water damage in the past, so do not wind it before a service.

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. Dan S Aug 26, 2018

This is called a triple-date (aka triple-calendar) moonphase watch. These are complicated, attractive and desirable watches, and it must have been a special possession for your grandfather. The movement appears to be an ETA 1100 variant: http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&ETA_1100

I suspect that the dial has been refinished in the past, which was quite common in the mid-20th century, but since this is an heirloom piece, that should be of no concern to you. I only mention it so that you will not be taken by surprise if someone tells you this in the future. You should have it serviced by a skilled watchmaker and enjoy it as a memory of your grandfather.

By the way, the spring-loaded end-links of that bracelet have a tendency to damage the inner surface of the lugs over time, so it would be a good idea to replace it.

TexOmega and Foo2rama like this.
  4. leonarth Aug 27, 2018

first of all thank you very much for the answers!

unfortunately I do not know when and where my grandfather bought it, he gave it to me a long time ago when I had not yet entered this world :)

As for the dial I was sure to be reprinted, because there is no written "swiss made" and I worry about the fact that it is a little rotated, you notice looking at 6 and 12 ..

the solution would be to find an original dial of the time, but:
    1) it is almost impossible
    2) I think it would lose its charm, with this dial it looks like a watch with a story behind it

Now I'm looking for a good watchmaker in my city for a check.

I do not like the strap at all (it's not even original), I thought of putting one in leather but I would like to ask you some advice for this, because usually I use steel straps.

Do you have any link or image of straps that might be suitable?

Thank you so much again!

Dan S likes this.
  5. Dan S Aug 27, 2018

I think it would look excellent on a simple leather strap. Given the color of the dial, any shade of strap would look good: black, brown, or tan. It's really a matter of your taste.

There are also generic vintage steel bracelets that would be fine, as long as you get the right size. Companies like JB Champion made good quality bracelets. Popular styles include "beads of rice" and "brick link". You can google those terms to see what they look like.

Measure the distance between the links carefully (e.g. 18mm) before ordering.

leonarth likes this.
  6. leonarth Aug 28, 2018

yes, i will buy a leather strap (black or gray or brown) and i misured it : 18mm ;)

what do you think about the crown? it can be original though there are no logo on it?

7. Dan S Aug 28, 2018

I have no reason to doubt that the crown is original. Looks ok.