Forums Latest Members

Lemania that looks like a Speedmaster

1. mikeyluckett Aug 5, 2018

Hi everyone,
    I came across this vintage Lemania that has a dial very similar to a Speedmaster and wondered if anyone could identify it? I know about the relationship between the 2 companies and my guess is this watch was produced by Lemania as a cheaper alternative to the Speedmaster... I haven't been able to see inside the case yet but there are no markings on the case and I haven't seen another one online...any help gratefully received!

Lemania.jpg
  2. marturx Aug 5, 2018

3. mikeyluckett Aug 5, 2018

Thanks so much Marturx! Very helpful indeed. This Swiss dealer wants CHF 12-13K so a fair bit more than what it went for at that auction. That said, his is a very good example...mmh..

4. Northernman Lemaniac Aug 5, 2018

Ref 815A are lovely watches!
    The one that you have been offered has a different sweep seconds hand than the (few) others I’ve seen. I guess it has been replaced.
    With its rotating bezel it serves a different purpose than a Speedmaster.
    Indeed offered at a steep price.

Foo2rama and Darlinboy like this.
  5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 5, 2018

Well the movement is the same. At the time Omega had lemania make the movements for Omega. They are now owned by Omega aka Swatch group. I’ve got a Sinn with a lemania movement from the late 80’s.

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  6. Northernman Lemaniac Aug 5, 2018

Lemania actually made the complete chronograph watches for Omega.
    Omega only obtained mechanical chronograph making capabilities after Lemania was sold out of SSHI in the mid 80s. Cal 861/1861 tooling was then moved to Bienne from Lemania/L’Orient.

7. Dan S Aug 5, 2018

Great watch, and interesting thread, but how did it get into the Rolex sub-forum? ;)

Foo2rama likes this.
  8. mikeyluckett Aug 5, 2018

Yup sorry about that! New to the forum... and have been hunting a good condition GMT 1675 as well so R forum may have been my point of entry!

This Lemania really looks great on the wrist but he's asking too much in my view (although he assures me that prices will rise for such a rare specimen...mmh)..

Dan S likes this.
  9. mikeyluckett Aug 5, 2018

Thanks for all your comments... I'll post in the right place next time! ;)