Forums Latest Members

Lemania Super Compressor - cal 3000

1. Kenny1000 Jun 3, 2015

Hi all!

My first post on this wonderful forum, and probably not the last either.
    I have recently aquired these two beauties, and i am looking for further information on the two "brothers"

[​IMG]

Ths one on the top is the youngest one, i think and not excatly sure on the date. The bottom one, i belive is from 1963, based on inscriptions inside the caseback. Dont have the tools to open them at hand, but its on its way in the mail ;-)

The one on the top has a fully serviced movement and the plexi is slightly polished. Dial and hands are as is, nothing has been done to them and in my opinion they are in great condition! The case is also in original condition, and so is the crown, which on this one has the Lemania logo on top of the "corshair" pattern. Caseback is a bit scratched, and that would explain the all over very good, close to mint, condition, it just hasen`t seen daylight for looooong time. Pressure testet to 100 meter!

[​IMG]

The seconf one is still in the condition as i found it. Crown is original, but loose, so this one definetly needs a week at the SPA. Crown has the "corshair" pattern, but not the Lemania Logo (?) Anyone that can clarify this? Is this as it should be or is this a replacement crown?

So, what am i looking for? Well, i am couriuos about what kind of straps these came with originally. Did Lemania have signed buckles? Never seen a Lemania box, where they originally sold without box and tags?

Thanks in advance

BR

KH

2. Kenny1000 Jun 4, 2015

Anyone??

3. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jun 4, 2015

One of our Lemania men is extremely busy at the moment but I am sure he will chime in when the time allows.

Kenny1000 and STANDY like this.
  4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 4, 2015

@Northernman is our resident Lemania expert here.

Nice examples,

When you get the back off and post pic,s more will be able to help out.

Kenny1000 likes this.
  5. Kenny1000 Jun 4, 2015

Perfect! I'll try to be patient

Have som pics from service of the one wich is in the best condition. Currently on the go, so ill post more pics tomorrow!

[​IMG]

6. Northernman Lemaniac Jun 4, 2015

No expert, but I do have more than a bit of interest into these beauties:)
    As mentioned I am quite occupied, so not much time to dig.
    Your "best condition" one is identical to one of mine. The 185xxxx serial number of the movement would date it to between 1964 and 1966 in my books. Nothing official to go by unfortunately.
    Here is mine:

IMG_6079.JPG
    The dial has a very interesting structure!
    IMG_6080.JPG

I assume that the crown should have the Lemania signed cross hatch logo. However I have seen others with "Only" the cross hatch.
    It could be a service replacement as the crown should have been replaced every so often to ensure the waterproofness.

IMG_6070.JPG

IMG_0075.JPG

I have seen original Lemania boxes. Been hunting a few, but only own "modern" ones from the 80s and 90s so far.
    They did have signed buckles, I own one.... 14mm :( Very seldom I see them.
    As for straps, I have no clue. Hang tags and the full works have been spotted occasionally, however they are rare in the correct meaning of the term.

Since the "Super Compressor" watches was really waterproof designs, I assume that what ever strap they put on it would be water repellent. Either a synthetic/rubber thing, or treated leather of some sorts perhaps?
    It seems that most (all) I find has the case reference 920. Normally (according to Lemania - and Omega) traditions at the time the year of manufacture of the case is printed as a suffix to the case ref.
    In extent 920-63 would indicate a watch with a case made in 1963. This again only tells you that it could not have existed earlier, but the case might have been sitting for some time before being merged with a movement and actually sold. (I have seen 4-5 years deviation between case suffix year and the actual sale of the watch).

I own a black dial one with a central second version of the Lemania 3000 (3060). As I have never seen another, I suspect it to be a marriage of parts.
    My watchmakers service blog entry on this one is found here: http://watchguy.co.uk/service-lemania-calibre-3060/

I am constantly seeking catalogues and advertisements on Lemania. I have in my possession a complete distributors (UK) catalogue from 1956 with prices and the works, however the reference 920 is to new to be shown there.

Lemania used EPSA to make several more of their cases as well (not only the Super Compressors). I own at least two other references with EPSA markings on them. Both are goldfilled and "dress" style watches.

Enjoy your lovely Lemania SCs! And do post more images, also of the second one after it returns from the SPA!

:thumbsup:

sneer and mappleluna like this.
  7. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jun 4, 2015

That's the boy :thumbsup:

Northernman likes this.
  8. marturx Jun 4, 2015

Another Lemania collector to be, great! I count myself as one of them. Great post by Anders (Northernman) above.

I shall post some pictures of Lemania boxes, bands and buckles that I have in my collection, just to tease him! :)

Kenny1000 and Northernman like this.
  9. setible Jul 24, 2015

hi everybody, i have a Lemania like this huy have (identical, hope nobody is hurt for using his picture - my watch is not in my hands right now)
    https://omegaforums.net/attachments/lemania-jpg.38404/

my question is... the backcase is like yours -again, identical but with one difference -not the EPSA logo... did they make it supercompressor and without the logo... my watch is from 1967.

10. Northernman Lemaniac Jul 24, 2015

Hi!

As far as I know EPSA made all of these cases. I have also other Lemania non-compressor cases marked EPSA.

Quite a lot of info on different markings done by EPSA here:
    http://scubawatch.org/EPSA_SC_FAQ.html

Looking forward to seeing your SC when you have it back !

:thumbsup: