Forums Latest Members

Lemania Chronograph Cal. 1873 (new arrival)

1. lando Feb 18, 2018

Honestly, i bought this because it features the 1873 movement. With a serial of 4354xxx it looks to be mid 1970's If i am correct. The case has seen some use.

Where to find a Ref. on this one?

Thanks a lot.

700_3366.JPG 700_3363.JPG 700_3361.JPG 700_3364.JPG
    700_3360.JPG

Larry S and tapaptpat like this.
  2. tapaptpat Feb 23, 2018

Hi Lando,

Congrats, you my kinda guy...era that's sound weird..collector there we go.

So what have you got there. You seem to know that's it's a cal.1873. That would be my guess too. Can you show us a movement shot when you get a chance. Whilst you're at it get a picture of the inside case back.

Now since we are talking about Lemania there is very little in the form of catalogue, ordersheets, ads etc. So tbh it's the first time I've seen this model.
    I need to point out if there is inside case back markings. It will refer to the case model not the watch reference. It what it is.

Possible similar model could be the telemeter by Paul picot. The green one.. I'll go digging for a visual example.

All the best
    pat

3. tapaptpat Feb 23, 2018

Lando,

My bad the telemark was the model I was thinking of is not the same caliber. It's 5100. Thus leaving me a bit stumped.

I would say it's mid to late 70's going on your serial again this is best guess info. Based on military watch serials that have years stamped on the caseback.

If I dig up something I'll post back.

Cheers
    P

4. ConElPueblo Feb 24, 2018

Are you guys sure this is a 70s issue? The style looks very much like a 90s piece. I note that there is no tritium...

tapaptpat likes this.
  5. lando Feb 24, 2018

Thanks for your answers. Will open it and take pictures, as the ones from the seller do not help.

Looking at it, this is my impression, too. My guess of 1970's is based on the movement serial only and the info i found about that.

tapaptpat likes this.
  6. tapaptpat Feb 24, 2018

Based on this table and ranfft
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-and-lemania-stopwatches-quick-identification-table.53628/
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Lemania_1872&
    I estimate guess that the cal 1873 is mid to late 70. If you have any additional data to work with I would tremendously grateful when you share it. Any tables like this for chronographs by Tissot? FYI
    Breitling up to 1990s
    Need to check 861/863 date ranges for omega.

You might be right about the lume. @lando do you have a uv light photo of the watch. Perhaps beside a known tritium lumed example. That would really help too.

As I said before there is very little material to compare to so we have to remain sceptical of the piece. If you have a catalog with this watch in I would be very interested in seeing it. Do you have the original sales receipt? That may contain reference number and model details too.

All the best
    P

7. ConElPueblo Feb 24, 2018

Oh, I have no tables or anything concrete to back it up, I just find the style of the watch with it's "classic" look to be very reminiscent of the style of watches coming out of the late eighties or nineties prior to the rejuvenation of the mechanical watch market. A seventies piece would, IMO, be more forward-looking in its design... Good luck on the detective work :)

8. tapaptpat Feb 24, 2018

@ConElPueblo, @lando
    Having reread the whole doninaldo article I'd like amend the breitling window to 2002. As all members here know Omega used the 861 for a long time. Lemania would release small number ranges of watched as they always have.

Well it's very difficult so the more the merrier. So please be bad cop for a while more. I don't want to play the "N" card until I have done some of the basics.

Next checks ATg image archive.
    H.Sinn sale
    Possible reverse search. Tricky on phone when on train.

Cheers
    P

9. roadsternet Mar 27, 2018

My wife has nearly the same 1873 watch,
    we bought it in italia 1992

10. lando Mar 27, 2018

Thanks for all your replies.

As I have not found any inscription in the caseback, this is valuable information. Approximately 1990 it will be.

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 27, 2018

I’ll wager money it’s a 18 jewel movement marked 17.

Just a lot of lemania pieces and watches with that lemania movement at the change over.