Forums Latest Members
  1. wwlamkin Oct 5, 2018

From a local e-Bay seller... the condition seems too good to be true for $1,000 but I don't know enough to be certain. Has good reviews as a seller and claims to be a collector. Notes that the case has never been polished.
    "100% authentic(except the leather band and buckle) or your money back"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. knvqn Oct 5, 2018

Too good to be true for $ 1,000?

Watch looks fine. The dial might have been touched up a bit.

I would honestly look around here at the private sales. I believe you can find a better watch for that price.

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. wwlamkin Oct 5, 2018

I'm still learning about correct price points apparently. What would be good for something along these lines? More like $750?
    I've been checking the forums every day - just a waiting game at this point I suppose.

4. Dan S Oct 5, 2018

$1000 is probably on the high end for that model, but it looks pretty nice (especially the case), so if you really love it, I wouldn't let the price stop you. There are lots of Seamaster variations, and everyone has their favorite. This one has the 166.003 case reference with gold dial furniture with onyx inlays in a stainless case. It's really not any more valuable than other variations, but maybe you really happen to like it. If so, and you pass it up, it might take a while for another one this nice to come along. So a collector might not mind paying-up a little bit.

On the other hand, if you're flexible and you're not necessarily looking for this particular reference, or this specific dial/hand variation, and price is an important consideration, then you will have opportunities to pick up nice Seamasters at slightly lower prices, especially without a bracelet. As suggested above, look through the sales forum, and you will see.

Edward53 and Noddyman like this.
  5. knvqn Oct 5, 2018

Prices for vintage watches can vary.

To be fair, I do not know the value of this watch. My personal opinion is that for $ 1,000 you can get a watch in a better condition.

Check the private sales section.

For same caliber, abelit 18K rose gold: https://omegaforums.net/threads/fs-...ith-crosshair-dial-excellent-condition.82534/

Same caliber, different dial: https://omegaforums.net/threads/vintage-1971-omega-geneve-cal-565-linen-dial.82810/

Price indications: https://omegaforums.net/threads/seamaster-166-002-cal-565-and-165-003-cal-552.61994/

But tell us why you choose that watch? Are you looking to invest in a watch, or do you want to know whether $ 1,000 is too much for that particular watch? No one really knows. If you really like it, why not pay the price.

I like this one https://omegaforums.net/threads/1960-omega-seamaster-hand-winding-ref-14384-61-sc-black-gilt-stardust-dial-serviced.80106/

Good luck.

6. bubba48 Oct 5, 2018

Sorry for my poor English, but what does it mean "touched up a bit"?
    A partial redial? Or what else?

knvqn likes this.
  7. knvqn Oct 5, 2018

I find the OMEGA AUTOMATIC text a bit too bold for the dial. Hence, the might.

Also the alignment, in particular the 'G' in the text troubles me.

However, I have very little experience with this, so please understand that I might very well be mistaken.

8. bubba48 Oct 5, 2018

I don't think that a dial may be "partially retouched".
    Or - at least - I've never seen a well done one.

9. wwlamkin Oct 5, 2018

I really appreciate your responses. So - the reason that I am looking for a watch like this one in particular is because my father gave me one as a gift about 10 years ago and in my youth/irresponsible phase I ended up either misplacing it while moving or having it stolen by someone. Now that I'm older I'm getting a similar one to replace it/wear daily for the foreseeable future. The $1000 price point is just what I'm willing to spend. The one that I had was all steel/silver, that's the only difference I believe.

10. knvqn Oct 5, 2018

The only real advice I can give you, which was also given to me by the forum, is to be patient, and do your due diligence.

Most (incl. myself) jump straight into the used watch market and buy a watch without any prior research.

One thing is that one tends to overpay (incl. myself...), but the other thing, and more important point is, that you'll most likely not be satisfied with the purchase.

11. Noddyman Oct 5, 2018

Some very light spotting on the dial but otherwise a nice example.
    Price is slightly high, would be better at a couple of hundred less.

Edward53 likes this.
  12. jimmyd13 Oct 5, 2018

I have a similar Seamaster in similar condition. I see no red flags on that dial. If it had been refinished, those minor spots are unlikely to have developed. Partial re-finishing is obvious unless done by a true master ... neither is the case here.

The price point is an issue. These are not uncommon watches. An unserviced, average example will bare break three figures (sterling). Servicing might cost double the purchase price; add on a premium for the condition and any warranty etc.

I hate criticising dealer prices because you can never be sure of the base price they had to pay for the watch or how much they sank into the servicing. The case on this (as far as the limited photos go) seems unpolished - look at the still sharp facets on the lugs. There is no evidence on the rotor or caseback or any rubbing. The movement seems clean enough with even colouring. However, to give you an idea of pricing, my example was up for £325. This one has a better dial. It's up to you if that's worth an extra $500 to you.

Edit: the only photo I have of the example I am describing. This is before service and, to be clear, I don't think I have this one any more. IMAG0800.jpg

Edited Oct 5, 2018
  13. wwlamkin Oct 5, 2018

I may try and make a lower offer ($775) on the auction and see what happens.

I really like the one posted above as well.

14. jimmyd13 Oct 5, 2018

This is an auction? From your original post, I thought this was a Buy It Now and expected it to be warrantied fro a dealer. You can find similar items on Chrono24 at that price point that are serviced and warrantied. (And Chrono24 tends to be 25% above market value).

15. wwlamkin Oct 5, 2018

It is - herePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network's the link.
    So basically this would be a better move from Chrono24?

16. jimmyd13 Oct 5, 2018

Ask after its service history. This is like buying a vintage car: you want to know it's been looked after.

If you're new to vintage watches, be sure you know what size this is. It's 34mm case and wears quite small (it's described as both a 34 and 38mm case). If you like it still, then go right ahead. Personally, I think $750 is above top dollar but the movement's good as is the case and dial. Furniture is all there and untarnished. It's not a model that's likely to appreciate and if there's anything wrong then you're going to make the price up to a grand in getting it fixed.

Bottom line: there's nothing wrong but the price but caveat emptor!

wwlamkin likes this.
  17. wwlamkin Oct 5, 2018

Yeah I'm definitely new to this whole world - thank god for this forum! I think my move is to go to a boutique and try a few different sized watches on to make sure before I pull the trigger on anything. It seems like watches similar to this one/within my price point are fairly plentiful via Chrono24. Last question - are all of the watches legit/original on Chrono24?

18. jimmyd13 Oct 5, 2018

No. Not at all. Chrono24 is a shop window for dealers and private sellers all over the world. Assume nothing is what it is presented at and bring a critical eye to everything. (But that's just part of the fun!).

19. wwlamkin Oct 5, 2018

Gotcha - thank you so much for your help! This process is actually kind of fun.

20. wwlamkin Oct 7, 2018

Okay, the watch has apparently been serviced recently and is in good working order. I made an offer at $725. We'll see what happens!