Legit check - speedy reduced

Hi all,

looking for advice please.

I’m looking at purchasing this speedy reduced from someone on social media, they have sent me the following video that I’ve linked

I know it can be difficult to tell without an in person check but what are your thoughts? Legit?

also any advice would be welcomed, how do you normally authenticate your watch? I have a goldsmiths near me i wonder if they’d take a look?
Thanks!

So the only thing I see that is suspicious is the minute sub-dial for the chronograph, but I don't have a reduced, so could be wrong about how they work. On the Professional, the 'minute' is a 'jump minute', meaning the minute indicates '0' until the second hand is ~2 seconds from 0, and then 'jumps' or 'clicks' quickly to '1'. I see right there that the minute hand is half way between 0 and 1.

Otherwise, I don't see anything suspicious (but again, I'm no expert). Chronographs are particularly difficult to fake (in that one of the hands is seemingly always 'doing the wrong thing' on the fakes), usually the 12 hr subdial being replaced with an additional 'hour' hand.

To get this authenticated, you'd have to go to some local Omega expert shop, no normal 'goldsmith' could take a look and make a reasoned opinion. You'd want the case back removed so the movement could be authenticated: I am not aware of any fake reduced Speedmaster (or professional!) movement that would pass a knowing eye looking inside the case back.

So the only thing I see that is suspicious is the minute sub-dial for the chronograph, but I don't have a reduced, so could be wrong about how they work. On the Professional, the 'minute' is a 'jump minute', meaning the minute indicates '0' until the second hand is ~2 seconds from 0, and then 'jumps' or 'clicks' quickly to '1'. I see right there that the minute hand is half way between 0 and 1.

Otherwise, I don't see anything suspicious (but again, I'm no expert). Chronographs are particularly difficult to fake (in that one of the hands is seemingly always 'doing the wrong thing' on the fakes), usually the 12 hr subdial being replaced with an additional 'hour' hand.

To get this authenticated, you'd have to go to some local Omega expert shop, no normal 'goldsmith' could take a look and make a reasoned opinion. You'd want the case back removed so the movement could be authenticated: I am not aware of any fake reduced Speedmaster (or professional!) movement that would pass a knowing eye looking inside the case back.
I looked around and watched some videos (including one on WatchBox) of a reduced, and it appears that the reduced does NOT have a jump-minute on the chrono minute subdial, so no reason to be concerned about that.

Like 1
Easy way to check if legit on a reduced ( not a date, mk40, or racing with 7750 based movements). Often these other models of about the same size are incorrectly referred to as reduced but they have completely different movements.

A reduced will have the chrono pushers raised above the stem as a result of the piggy back module when viewed from the side.

no fake would have a movement like that.
IMG_9108.png

Like 5
Thanks all.

I guess it’s looking good, but as you say no way really knowing without a proper check from omega. I’m more confident that it’s authentic.

Thanks all.

I guess it’s looking good, but as you say no way really knowing without a proper check from omega. I’m more confident that it’s authentic.
I've never bought a watch this way. Couldn't the video be real, but the watch that arrives be a totally different fake? I mean wouldn't it be best to buy it from a trusted source that wouldn't require authentication?

I've never bought a watch this way. Couldn't the video be real, but the watch that arrives be a totally different fake? I mean wouldn't it be best to buy it from a trusted source that wouldn't require authentication?

it’s a possibility, and what you say makes sense.

this person has a eBay shop with 100s of positive reviews but also sells via Instagram - I guess avoiding fees. I have more feelings towards it being authentic than not but I’d still thought I’d run it by you guys.

also seller said they are 100% confident on authenticity, that I could get it authenticated and return it if it wasn’t. That also helps.

Like 1
Thanks all.

That is not true at all actually.

Like 1
That is not true at all actually.

Right, sure. I’ve seen some authentication services which are photos only too

Right, sure. I’ve seen some authentication services which are photos only too
I’d saw there are many many people on this forum that are better then authentication services.

super fakes are only really in the past 15 years or so and on modern pieces.

auth services and omega boutique’s are not versed in redials. An extract only cares about the serial number.

so I’m not sure who you think can spot fakes.

I’d saw there are many many people on this forum that are better then authentication services.

super fakes are only really in the past 15 years or so and on modern pieces.

auth services and omega boutique’s are not versed in redials. An extract only cares about the serial number.

so I’m not sure who you think can spot fakes.

Right, thanks for sharing.

I’m not saying one or the other is better. To be honest I don’t care.

Appreciate anyone and everyone’s input to the post.

Right, thanks for sharing.

I’m not saying one or the other is better. To be honest I don’t care.

Appreciate anyone and everyone’s input to the post.
I’d love to understand why you think auth services and omega are the only ways to auth watches.

I think you don’t actually understand the limits of those services vs the actual experts on Omega watches.

I’d love to understand why you think auth services and omega are the only ways to auth watches.

I think you don’t actually understand the limits of those services vs the actual experts on Omega watches.

I dont think that maybe a comment of mine has come across with the wrong tone over the World Wide Web.

Rather than the question 'should I buy this Speedy Reduced', you may in fact benefit more by asking the question 'should I buy a Speedy Reduced'...

Like 2
I dont think that maybe a comment of mine has come across with the wrong tone over the World Wide Web.

It’s all good—tone can be tricky on a forum, but folks here just mean to be helpful.

To reiterate what was said: while it’s true (I suppose) that an official Omega service will provide peace of mind—they’ll cross-check serials and open up the watch, so if there’s a fugazi movement in there you’ll find out—and you’ll get a comforting 2 year warranty and know that all is operating well—there are limitations to relying (only) on this approach.

As was said, if the pushers are in the right place, you can feel confident the watch is not a knockoff.

But even if the watch is legit on that most fundamental level, that’s no assurance that it hasn’t been otherwise adulterated, in ways that even Omega won’t notice or bother to indicate during a service. That’s where folks here can be far more useful. If you post good clear pics once the watch is in your possession, you’ll get great input.

As was also suggested, in case you’re not already aware, these reduced models have their devotees but are not, by and large, considered collectible or value-retentive or respectable when compared to other speedy models, and many here regret buying them as an expensive half-step toward the inevitable purchase of a (“real”) speedy pro. In the long run you’re better off just spending the extra $ and getting the pro.

But you know what they say about opinions.

Like 4
Rather than the question 'should I buy this Speedy Reduced', you may in fact benefit more by asking the question 'should I buy a Speedy Reduced'.

Yes, Op should get a Seamaster instead. OP will never hear the end of " thats not a real speedy, it hasnt been to the moon" or some shit like that. A Seamaster is a much better watch, 300m WR, automatic and he can mowe the lawn with the watch on. And we Seamaster owners are much nicer people, thats a fact.

Like 1
Super appreciate your response. Yes, it can get tricky, I genuinely wasn’t questioning either method. It might have come across as though I was ::facepalm1::

Completely understand, I’m personally completely fine with the reduced and know of the wider community opinion on them. It doesn’t bother me at the slightest. I tried one a friend of mine had and the sizing was perfect which was a factor for me.

Like 1
Super appreciate your response. Yes, it can get tricky, I genuinely wasn’t questioning either method. It might have come across as though I was ::facepalm1::

Completely understand, I’m personally completely fine with the reduced and know of the wider community opinion on them. It doesn’t bother me at the slightest. I tried one a friend of mine had and the sizing was perfect which was a factor for me.
An all black MK 40 is a more reliable watch easier to get serviced way cooler, the same size and about the same price.

An all black MK 40 is a more reliable watch easier to get serviced way cooler, the same size and about the same price.

I’ll check it out