Forums Latest Members
  1. strick9 Apr 22, 2018

often wonder why I wear on my left when I'm right handed so whats your thoughts? I do see its hard to shoot with my DSLR without getting a remote shutter button, tripod and skill none of which I used today. :thumbsdown: chime in which wrist and why

DSC_1344wd.jpg DSC_1345wd2.jpg
    Spruce likes this.
  2. SpeedieMan Apr 22, 2018

Most people wear their watches on their non-dominant hand. Doing this will keep the watch from interfering with handwriting (and will keep the bracelet or clasp from getting scratched up when you are writing as well)

3. jimmyd13 Apr 22, 2018

Here's your answer...

4. 77deluxe Apr 22, 2018

Left if you’re right handed. Less opportunity for damage. Additionally, you’re probably used to checking your left wrist for a watch when you want to know the time.

strick9 likes this.
  5. strick9 Apr 22, 2018

Ok, so what ambidextrous people do??

6. SpeedieMan Apr 22, 2018

Funny you should ask. I'm ambidextrous! I write better with my right side hand (I open doors, use a knife for cooking and paint better with my left hand). I wear my watch on my left hand.

Waltesefalcon and strick9 like this.
  7. strick9 Apr 22, 2018

Whoever had my explorer 2 must have had it on the dominant hand. Got a good deal and......

8. Preacherman Apr 22, 2018

When I was little I wore my watch on my right hand, but was told that most people wear it on the left. So I switched to the left, and it makes sense, it would get in the way when writing and doing other things. The funny thing is that my dad is a lefty and he wears his watch on the left.

9. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Apr 22, 2018

Definitely to do with wearing a watch on the (perceived) non-dominant hand.
    Less likelihood for damage from activity etc.
    (It’s not that long ago that being a ‘lefty’ was deemed to be abnormal. Left = Sinister in Latin, became to be synonymous with evil/malicious.
    Lefties were even forced to use their right hand instead of their left for writing etc. )
    Since ‘righties’ make up something like 90% of the population, when wristwatches were developed, winders were put on the right side, followed by chrono functions etc.
    -and if there happened to be a function on the left -well, you could always use your thumb.

10. larryganz The cable guy Apr 22, 2018

I've got a Ti Planet Ocean 9300 on the left (and a black Apple watch on mesh on my right).

Mtek, Spruce and rbob99 like this.
  11. Waltesefalcon Apr 25, 2018

I wear mine on my left. I think it is mostly habit, though the explanation for not wearing a wristwatch on the dominant side makes sense.

12. bonerp Apr 25, 2018

Left as writing with my right would end up dragging the watch across the desk.

Spruce likes this.
  13. dr1v3thru Apr 25, 2018

I'm right-handed/left wrist. The dominant/non-dominant explanation makes sense too.

Sinn even goes as far as saying they reverse the location of the crown and pushers in their EZM line to get it out of the way in a left-wrist context.

[​IMG]

14. amanson Apr 25, 2018

This is strange. Being right handed, I would want to wind/set with my right hand.

Personally, I've never had an issue with a crown pushing against the back of my hand even on my large watches.

Either way, wear whatever is comfortable. For some reason, I have to tilt further to see my watch if I wear on my right wrist for some reason. Left feels more natural.

15. strick9 Apr 25, 2018

Tried the right for awhile today when I wrote did not touch the desk did seem harder to do things because I knew it was there so...
    But maybe try it some and become bi-wristed

16. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Apr 25, 2018

Right.

I’m left-handed.

However, I wore watches on my (dominant) left hand until I started playing tennis in the 70’s (yes, I’m old!). The watch on my Twist-O-Flex bracelet would bounce and pinch with most every shot, so I switched to my non-dominant hand.

Right hand ever since, although mad-dogging has never been an issue :D !

Edited Apr 25, 2018
  17. dwboston Apr 25, 2018

Left arm and left-handed. I can't wear a watch on my right arm - it feels unnatural.

IDXM likes this.
  18. IDXM May 4, 2018

I go with dominant hand, which is the right. I assume as a kid I started doing this and got use to it this way.

19. Gurn May 4, 2018

If you have to give someone the old knuckle sandwich you don't want to break your watch. :p

NOTSHARP and IDXM like this.
  20. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. May 4, 2018

Doug, did your racket look like this one?

Unknown.jpg

IDXM likes this.