Forums Latest Members
  1. Moeris May 8, 2014

Hey, all. After recently seeing a Futurematic in person, I've been on the hunt for a good example. The one I had a chance to handle unfortunately had a refinished dial, so I wasn't going to pay $1,000 for it--too much for what it was.

With that being said, does anyone know how common the black dial was? I came across this one (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Men...392070321?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item4ad475ceb1Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network) but cannot tell if it's original or not.

I'm fully aware of how quirky and troublesome these watches can be, but that's still not stopping me from looking at them.

Any help or info is appreciated. :)

2. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member May 8, 2014

I don't think the black dial was uncommon, not sure of the white:black ratio. However, this image is too low-resolution to do much with. By the way, this seller has a history of often selling watches which are incorrect or Franken. Maybe not all of them, but enough that I'd be wary of him.

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 8, 2014

Unlike many other vintage watches of this era, black dials are fairly common with the Futurematic. So I don't think there is a large premium like for some others (think Constellation pie-pan).

This one has a nice dial and movement, although there seems to be a little rust inside the case.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

4. Moeris May 8, 2014

Thanks, guys.

Some dials also say "Swiss" at the bottom, while others say "Swiss Made." Is it safe to say "Swiss Made" and dials that have nothing at the bottom have been refinished?

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 8, 2014

On this watch and most other US market LeCoultres, you are correct.

gatorcpa

6. rolokr Nov 28, 2015

Did Lecoultre US market make a 36 m.m. all Stainless Steel model ?

7. Geo! Nov 28, 2015

I'll be back to the futurematic tonight. One of my all time favourites!

image.jpeg

ELV web and Darlinboy like this.