Forums Latest Members

Leave Chronograph Running?

1. axl911 Jun 21, 2019

Well dang it. This gave me a whole new respect for the Valjoux 7750 which I used to consider an agricultural movement that is kinda ugly and equates to something of an AK-47.

Commisar likes this.
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 21, 2019

I understand your dilemma, but I can only present the information I have...I can't "make" you believe it. So at some point I have said all that I can say, and you have to decide for yourself what's right and what's not.

Like I said in a previous post I've been correcting this misinformation for 7 years now, so I'm sure you can appreciate that after that much time, trying to convince yet another person that a lot of the information out there on the blogs is incorrect gets a little old.

Equating a watch movement like the 7750 to an AK-47 is nothing but a compliment in my view. I've said this many times before, but it is a great movement. Robust, accurate, and easy to service. When I have one on my bench, I know it will be a good few hours.

Cheers, Al

Commisar, tikkathree and Mad Dog like this.
  3. Allandg Sep 9, 2019

Archer, quick follow up question please. Based on your experience and knowledge, if I leave the chrono running for, say, a week at a time not more than three or four times a year, would you think that would be an issue? Thanks in advance for your input.

Commisar likes this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 9, 2019

No

Commisar likes this.
  5. Allandg Sep 9, 2019

Great - thanks very much for your prompt response and assistance.

6. jsducote Sep 9, 2019

I'd like to go back to this statement and ask, how do I know if my watches have a 'vertical clutch'?
    That's not something I've seen in the marketing literature or even the owners manual.

Commisar likes this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 9, 2019

No idea what watches you have, but if you list them I may be able to tell you. Easy if they are Omegas, but for other brands I'm sure I could find out.

If you wanted to know, you could always ask the brands directly...

8. jsducote Sep 9, 2019

I was hoping there was a way to find out without putting the burden on you of having everyone ask you about every movement ever made.
    The two chronos in my box right now are a Speedmaster FOIS and a Heuer Carerra Cal 1887.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 9, 2019

Well, as I said you can ask the brands directly. Also, Google is your friend, however as I've noted there is misinformation out there.

The FOIS is a horizontally coupled chrono.

It appears that the Tag 1887 movement (which is a Seiko 6S37 base) is also a horizontally coupled chronograph.

Commisar and jsducote like this.
  10. jsducote Sep 9, 2019

Oh, I misunderstood, thinking you meant I could ask you about [BRAND] instead of [MODEL].
    Thanks.

11. ranger052 Sep 9, 2019

Question Archer,

if I keep the crono running 6 to 10 hours a day almost every day, do you think it could go bad in a year or 2? Is a 3330 Movement.

Commisar likes this.
  12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 9, 2019

I would not expect it to.

Commisar likes this.
  13. Stufflers Mom Sep 9, 2019

Which is more likely to fail over that 2 year period, the watch with the chrono running 6 to 10 hrs per day, or the watch where the chrono function is hardly used at all?

14. ranger052 Sep 9, 2019

Thank you Archer :)

15. Evitzee Sep 9, 2019

It seems the reason people like to keep the chronograph engaged is to see some motion on the dial. This reminds me of conversation I had many years ago with an AD in Switzerland about the original Royal Oak and Nautilus which had ultra-thin automatic movements, but no seconds hand. At the time, mid-80's, they were having a hard time selling them because people thought a sports watch should have a proper sweep seconds hand. Similar thing here, although there is a small constant seconds sub-dial people like to see a large sweep seconds hand moving across the dial. I've had too many chronographs over the years to count and I'll use the feature to time a plane trip from LAX to MEL (15.5 hrs), car trips and other sundry events, and I might turn them on once in awhile for an hour or two just to exercise the system, but in normal practice I'll just leave them off. I don't need a seconds hand moving across the dial when all I want to know it is 2:10 in the afternoon. To each their own.

Commisar likes this.
  16. Risto Mar 8, 2020

I have Zenith 146HP chronograph (Martel movement) and today I forgot the chronograph running for the entire day. In the evening I noticed that the watch had stopped. Wound it up. Nothing. Took off rear cover and didn’t notice anything unusual, but I am no expert. All of a sudden it started working again after I moved the watch a bit. So, I am wondering why did it happen? The watch has been serviced not long time ago.

17. Stufflers Mom Mar 8, 2020

Never did get an answer on this one.