Forums Latest Members

Leave Chronograph Running?

1. Allandg Jun 13, 2019

I know this has been asked and answered numerous times, but I've been unable to locate a thread specific to the 3330 movement. I have a Speedy Mark II and would like to ask if it's okay to leave the chrono running constantly when I wear the watch. I should mention that I don't wear it all that often and intend to turn off the chrono function when I'm not wearing it, even if it's in the winder.

Thanks in advance :).

Commisar and Walrus like this.
  2. ext1 Jun 13, 2019

3330 is vertical clutch, so I think it should be honestly fine to keep it running. I used to run my DSOTM's chrono a lot since it has vertical clutch 9300.

3. AJwala Jun 13, 2019

Dear @ext1 and @Allandg

Sorry to jump in but what do you mean by a vertical clutch?

I have a Speedmaster reduced, my watchmaker also suggested I keep the Chronograph on, is this applicable for all types of chronograph?

Regards
    AJ

4. ext1 Jun 13, 2019

I learned from an Archer post on the difference. But basically very quickly there is horizontal and vertical clutch. Speedy 321/(1)861 are horizontal clutch because this guy moves in to engage the chrono wheel.
    upload_2019-6-14_1-29-47.png
    In vertical clutch there's a wheel that's dropped from the top to the bottom that starts to run together with another wheel that is already running all the time. Hence in vertical clutch there's no additional wheel the chrono needs to risk wearing out by engaging. In horizontal, a new wheel starts to run so there's wear.

Also in the speedy, the wheel that goes to engage is shaped a but pointy so that it can engage the chrono wheel and isn't really optimized for constantly running.

AJwala likes this.
  5. ext1 Jun 13, 2019

Waltesefalcon and AJwala like this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 13, 2019

The 3330 is horizontally coupled, so it is not a vertical clutch chronograph. It is based on the ETA 7750, and uses the same oscillating pinion that the 7750 does for the horizontal coupling of the chronograph.

Cheers, Al

7. dabbispade Jun 13, 2019

Why is it better to keep the chrono running all day ?

8. ext1 Jun 13, 2019

Whoops... looks like my googling about the 3330 was off ::facepalm2::. Thanks for the correction! :thumbsup:

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 13, 2019

No worries. I suspect that if you may have come across the ABTW article from when this movement was first introduced, where Ariel Adams incorrectly identified it as part of the F. Piguet based 3303 family, that does use a vertical clutch. I've spent a lot of time since then trying to correct this erroneous information when posted on forums, but unfortunately these popular bloggers who don't bother to verify information (as a real journalist would) are very good at spreading misinformation.

Cheers, Al

Commisar, Mad Dog, Pun and 7 others like this.
  10. Allandg Jun 13, 2019

Guys - what's the answer to my question please?

11. KeithS Jun 13, 2019

From Archer's first post in the thread linked to above (https://omegaforums.net/threads/chronographs-vertical-and-horizontal-coupling.5539/):

"Now about leaving your chronograph running all the time...personally for most watches where parts are available, I really would not have any problems letting the chronograph run. So on an Omega 861/1861, or a 7750 based watch, the parts that would need replacing from excess wear are readily available and not expensive. So if you want to let it run all the time, then in my personal view, go ahead. For a watch where parts are less easy to find, such as a Cal. 321, I would not recommend it. Again you want to preserve the parts in that movement as much as possible."

Travelller and Mad Dog like this.
  12. Allandg Jun 14, 2019

Okay, thanks.

13. dabbispade Jun 14, 2019

But I am interested is there any good reason to keep it running ?

14. Allandg Jun 14, 2019

Sure. The sweep of the large second hand. In my opinion it looks better than just having it sit at the 12:00 position (and easier to see than the small dial for my old eyes :) ). And again, it's not as though I'll be wearing the watch a great deal.

tikkathree likes this.
  15. dabbispade Jun 14, 2019

Yeah I thought so and I totally agree with you, looks a lot better.
    I do get the question some time from those who don’t know how some chrono works if it is just stop and might need a battery change

16. RI Omega Fan Jun 14, 2019

I sometimes miss seeing the big sweeping second hand, too. It is one of my two gripes with the Speedmaster. The other is the really small crown, considering it’s a watch that needs to be wound every day. I can barely get a pinch on the damn thing.

I do occasionally run the chrono hand for awhile, just for the sheer visceral thrill of seeing all six hands going around. Of course, I make sure it is in synch with the running seconds hand!

fastfras likes this.
  17. AriTheWatchmaker Jun 18, 2019

yes, 3303 and variants are vertical clutch and can have the chrono left on continuously like a speedy reduced auto or other movements that are not driven off the 4th wheel of the base movement.
    It means the chrono runner itself has 2 pieces...its a copy of the 1970's Seiko chronograph vertical clutch system really... I was gobsmacked seeing it the first time as I have done my share of 6139 Seiko chronographs so I saw it right away.
    Congrats on the nice watch!

Commisar likes this.
  18. Allandg Jun 18, 2019

Okay, now I'm confused. The above post directly contradicts the posts above from Archer.

Commisar likes this.
  19. Lotus_Eater8815 Jun 18, 2019

I would listen to Archer as he is a watchmaker.

Commisar likes this.
  20. AriTheWatchmaker Jun 19, 2019

A speedy mark 2 is a lemania 861/1861 unless some other model- 145.014 case reference. Hat is driven off the 4th wheel and should not be left running.
    3303 and up are derived from Frederic Piguet 1180 but heavily altered parts, and can be run indefinitely.
    Yes, after 20 years, formal training, a WOSTEP refresher course scholarship in Neuchatel, being technical coordinator and workshop supervisor at BreitlingUSA, and doing hundreds of chronos per year, I am a very real watchmaker. The Swiss canton of Neuchatel officially handed me the title " Swiss Watchmaker" on graduation in addition to all the rest of my work. Everyone at AWCI HQ knows who I am or knows me personally from my work on special committees etc.
    but trust the archer guy too, he has stood the test of time on the forum with 14k posts.

tikkathree and fastfras like this.