Forums Latest Members
  1. AustinStm Sep 22, 2017

Hello and Happy Friday.

So I took the plunge and purchased an Omega Speedmaster Pro Moonwatch on a leather strap from my local AD who gave me an excellent discount, along with excellent service. The watch is outstanding and I couldn't be happier.

Well, there is one thing: The clasp on the leather strap keeps popping open. I've put it together correctly but still, pop! If I don't move my wrist suddenly it's fine, but any sudden movements like a twisting motion and pop! It's open.

Any advice? Is this the sort of thing where I need to wear it and allow the leather to soften a bit? Or does this mean a long drive back to the AD for proper adjustments? (He was out of state and mailed it to me so I could save on the taxes.)

Thanks so much in advance.

2. the.watchdoc Sep 22, 2017

Are you completely certain that the leather is completely pressed in all the way, with the stud showing all the way through? The most frequent problem here is a slightly protruding part of the leather that is stopping the clasp from closing correctly. You should be able to hear a feel a very solid click when the clasp closes, and it shouldn't open of its own accord at all.

If that isn't the problem, then the clasp might indeed be defective.

3. AustinStm Sep 22, 2017

Thank you. Yea, I force the stud through and it seems to be less of a problem. I'm wary though. This is my martini drinking hand and the last thing I need is my Speedmaster dunking into my Tito's.

jayhawks and Shailor like this.
  4. yinzerniner Sep 22, 2017

Pictures and even a video would help, but if you're AD is worth their salt they would remedy it immediately either through some sort of service fix or a completely new clasp if it's faulty.

Unless the inner spring below the "OMEGA" brushed plate is faulty I've never seen an Omega clasp that doesn't close and secure with an audible and reassuring "click." And if you've installed the deploy correctly your watch will never, ever drop down suddenly since even in the open position there is still a closed loop to stay on your wrist.

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. chickenman26 Sep 22, 2017

You have the stud through the hole in the strap. But, are the edges of the strap inside the clasp's rails. If not, that would cause your issue. Post a pic.