Forums Latest Members

Leather NATO: Should this even be a thing?

1. trackpad May 17, 2017

Should leather NATO's be a thing, or do they make about as much sense as a two piece nylon? Comments/experiences please, preferably with pics. But not of your two piece nylons! ;) ...I know they exist, and...I'm not happy about it.

2. calalum May 17, 2017

I have this one, just because it was with the watch when I bought it. I have thought about replacing it since I don't love the extra material, but it hasn't happened yet and doesn't detract from my enjoyment. And it is comfortable. To each their own.

Longines 7042 wrist.JPG

Giff2577, smitty190373 and trackpad like this.
  3. trackpad May 17, 2017

Thanks, but I think you just played a Zulu card. Completely understandable!

4. trackpad May 17, 2017

@calalum Upon further study, two things. 1) Nice watch. 2) That flap would bother me greatly. And it actually touches on one of my hesitations with the leather NATO – where there is almost always a workaround for tucking and folding a nylon band...leather seems less likely to cooperate. Size really matters.

Matty01 likes this.
  5. abrod520 May 17, 2017

Most of the leather NATOs I've seen and worn are actually quite thin, and fold over even easier after a bit of wear than nylon. I had the same reservation as you until I actually handled one; turns out they're quite nice. There are some really cheap ones out there like cheapestnatostraps.com, why not try one out for $9 or so

Nobel Prize and Foo2rama like this.
  6. bmilnes May 17, 2017

I have a JPM one, sold by Bulang and Sons. Nice quality but juuuuust a little too thick to fold the strap in on itself. It doesnt stick out as much as the one above, but i cant help but feel like it feels weird. I toy with the idea of cutting it, but feel like it will end in a mistake that cant be undone on a relatively expensive strap.... so it sits in the drawer mostly.

trackpad likes this.
  7. jumpingsecond May 17, 2017

I use one on a JLC deep sea and I love it- carries it well. You need a very soft/supple horween strap though- it feels like balanced silk on my wrist. Strap folds in nicely and it's my favorite strap to wear. I'm traveling so no pics but I'd recommend to try one and see.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 17, 2017

I agree, but the downside is that they tend to stretch after a month or so...

Foo2rama likes this.
  9. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool May 17, 2017

I think a lot of quality leather NATO's look cool but a lot of cheap ones look awful.

I have a Rover Haven (called MIL-strap there) which I wear with my Speedy and my Seiko PADI. Looks great on both I think.

As for making sense... is anything making more sense than other things in this field of endeavor? This watch hobby is either incredibly irrational or incredibly rational. Can't decide which.

Here is a pic
    IMG_2095.JPG

Sculler22 and Jwit like this.
  10. abrod520 May 17, 2017

I suppose they might, though I haven't really had this problem - at least not to a point where the strap was unusable. I don't wear them very tightly though. Then again - you do get what you pay for on the low end

11. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe May 17, 2017

I've got a leather Nato I rotate through my diver watches occasionally. its very comfortable, thin enough to tuck in and has worn well.

its from Fossil, so it didn't cost too much, I'd take a picture if I could find the damn thing....

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 17, 2017

I've got a few. The trick is stiffer leather that's still thin at least for Chronos and divers. Horeween works on Speedies. My 36mm's are so light I just make sure it's thin.

13. trackpad May 18, 2017

The title of this thread alludes to the question, but so far no one has taken it up.

Is there not something fundamentally ...odd, about creating a NATO-style strap – a strap design synonymous with ruggedness and durability – out of a material so precious it really shouldn't even come in contact with water?

Maybe it's the product designer in me, but I'd probably also look sideways at leather bed-liners for pickup trucks, or helmets made out of porcelain...no matter how good they looked.

Honest Q: Was the leather NATO actually ever a thing, like, ...in service? Or is it sort of made up, like the belt stitch we see (and adore) in so many two piece straps that is described as "vintage style"...when as far as I can tell, no one actually ever wore watch straps like this in the past.

Anyhoo. History/good sense be damned, I'd like to try it out. The right color on the right watch really does look good. And if the band fits. Maybe part of the problem is I had been considering something in the + $100 range. Such as the B&S version mentioned earlier.

But this might be a case where something cheaper, less supple and refined makes fundamentally more sense, just, as a product that is slightly more disposable. AKA pig or goat leather. I don't know about $9 guys... But I'll take a look. Maybe $29?

At $9 I'd assume it's leather stripped from the back of a hell-beast ...and wearing it constitutes an agreement to forfeiture of the soul, ...eternal hell fire, so on and etc.

Edited May 18, 2017
    ossfm and Speedmasterfan88 like this.
  14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 18, 2017

If I called them 4 ring Zulu leather straps would that make it better?

I found one 8 dollar strap that's decent real leather. All of my other leather NATO/Zulu style straps are custom from Jan. I recommend horeween or chromexel leather for them.

IMG_3652.JPG IMG_3716.JPG IMG_3915.JPG IMG_4352.JPG

15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 18, 2017

Leather NATO
    Chocolate Teapot
    Military Intelligence
    Political Integrity
    Religious Tolerance

I could go on, but I have to wash my nylon two piece.

Huh?

[​IMG]

NNo No No NO, not that one!

This:

upload_2017-5-18_19-17-31.png

ras47, Morrisdog, ossfm and 1 other person like this.
  16. fibonacci086 May 18, 2017

Omega veal Novonappa

165573-956e1574aa5c4cb4d5b8897034af736b.jpg

17. zimmerit5 May 18, 2017

Here is my 1675 and 16570 on inexpensive leather NATO strap. May have got the tuck-in position on the wrong side of the wrist but it is easier to adjust. Have been worried about loose metal end-links damaging the serial engravings between the lugs on vintage Rolex watches. Hence the preference for wearing leather or nylon NATO straps. Last pic shows my speedy on a grey nylon NATO.
    IMG_2327.JPG
    IMG_5329.JPG
    IMG_7406.JPG

bug1124 likes this.
  18. ossfm May 18, 2017

Is leather NATO really that much of an oxymoron? These days maybe with materials like Kevlar and actual nylon it might be.

I'll offer a counter point. To this day motorcyclists wear "leathers" that will quite literally save your a.. if you lay the bike down. Early football helmets and aviator helmets were leather. Cowboys rode the range wearing protection in the form of leather chaps.

We are precious today about leather considering the "fine corinthian" stuff is a luxury upgrade to our automobiles and handbags. That doesn't mean it's not tough stuff though.

To bring it back to watches, I don't have a leather NATO or ZULU (I'm pretty sure that means the 1-piece single layer). I think the leather NATO would be too thick. A ZULU on the other hand would be OK. It might be better than a nylon one in that it wouldn't abrade the case back as much.

trackpad likes this.
  19. Morrisdog May 18, 2017

I don't have any as yet but can certainly see the appeal. It looks good and am sure it will be more comfortable than nylon. The only downside is the thickness so I personally would prefer a single pull through strap without the extra retainer bit.

Who cares about its historical (or lack off) context. Just take it for what it is, an easy to change and comfortable leather strap. No more stuffing about with a spring bar tool!!

trackpad likes this.
  20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 18, 2017

I have with the cheaestnatosstraps.com versions. Now if I spring for one of Omega's leather NATO's (not gonna happen) I wouldn't expect it to stretch much, but then again I would not be able to make that nice, tight fold to tuck the loose end in either. Just saying that in my experience there's a trade off with the leather being thin enough to fold over as you suggested.

trackpad likes this.