Forums Latest Members

Least popular modern Omega?

1. Muttley Aug 26, 2016

Curious to know what members would consider the least popular modern (well, say in the last 10 years) Omega watch. Not the least attractive necessarily (although that is usually a good indicator, and as always, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder). Maybe there are some that have slipped under the radar and make you wonder why no one wanted them when released new. Have you bought one that exceeded your expectations despite bad press?
    We read so much about the Grail watches and the 'must haves' - what about the unloved, or better yet, the stealth ones that passed by almost undetected?

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 26, 2016

Ever seen an iced out ladies speedy? I rest my case.

Muttley likes this.
  3. Muttley Aug 26, 2016

Yeah, the garish ones are easy targets. But can you think of any that you look at and wonder why they didn't sell? I suppose too high an initial price might be a factor. Or word (true or otherwise) of poor reliability (first co-axials?)...

4. ulackfocus Aug 26, 2016

The PO with orange stones in the bezel ain't that cool either.

5. repoman Aug 26, 2016

Oh boy, there are many possible nominations for "least popular" in the Speedmaster collection... Since Omega doesn't share sales figures by individual timepiece, we can't use an objective measure here. I will opt for the alternative definition of "my least favorite", but I'm fairly certain these two show up on most everyone's list:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DLT222, rcs914, nixf6 and 7 others like this.
  6. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Aug 26, 2016

You're killing me.:D

repoman and Taddyangle like this.
  7. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Aug 26, 2016

A speedy at $2300. No takers. Unfortunately this one has a sapphire crystal, otherwise a perfect donor watch.

In my opinion the worst watch ever made by Omega.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/131919337328Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Flingit1200s likes this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 26, 2016

Don't those have higher posts for the subdials? Otherwise I'd be tempted for a base to make a racing dial mod.

Edited Aug 26, 2016
    Flingit1200s and watchknut like this.
  9. SeanO Aug 26, 2016

every speedmaster since they stuck that "First watch worn on the moon...." crap on the back.

soulless merchandising of a sound middle of the road chronograph that has IMO tainted every single one made since.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 26, 2016

I would tend to disagree with that as would most SeanO

Flingit1200s likes this.
  11. WatchVaultNYC Aug 26, 2016

Heyyyy

12. ulackfocus Aug 26, 2016

I realize that the handful of us Speedy dissenters will someday be drawn & quartered, but I have to agree with SeanO on that overdone marketing angle. If there were three things I'd change about Omega.....

1) Stop the marketing-first-at-all-cost approach. It is one of the reasons for my dislike of the Speedmaster, the reason they rushed the 2 level Daniels escapement to market before it was fully vetted, and might be the reason the barrel / power reserve problem exists on the 8500.

2) Put some damn micro-adjustments on your bracelets. They are starting to do this fortunately.

3) Stop mutilating vintage watches sent in for restoration.

Otherwise they're watches are a damn good value.

:p

One man's Speedmaster is another man's dudmeister.

Longbow likes this.
  13. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Aug 26, 2016

Do they still do the NEW constellation? The whole Manhattan/double eagle/Cindy Crawford thing ?

::puke::

14. Superdoc Aug 26, 2016

one that was a terrible seller for Omega was one that I really really love...

The X2...

DSC08339.JPG

Apparently the Square face didn't resonate with the market, and one of the main criticisms that they got was "it doesn't look like an Omega"

this probably explains the multiple variations of the same watch that they currently offer....

Matty01, flw, al128 and 1 other person like this.
  15. WatchVaultNYC Aug 26, 2016

Don't knock the Constellation, they sell a ton of it outside the USA.

If Omega were Porsche, the Constellation would be the Cayenne

ulackfocus likes this.
  16. Muttley Aug 26, 2016

That's an interesting one, Superdoc, it actually appeals to me as well, in it's own way. Looks a bit like a cartier on steroids, Not sure about the X2 at the top, strange combination of Roman and Arabic numerals. I'll bet the bezel is a massive scratch magnet too.
    And I have to agree with the verdict on the XVII - the big face is a bit 'in your face'.
    So why so much dislike for the 'Moon to Mars' Speedmaster? All I can think is that the colours just don't look right on the dial, but otherwise looks pretty 'normal' for a Speedmaster. Is it a bit too hard to hide on the wrist?
    To anyone who owns any of the above watches - as is often on this and any other forum, it's all about personal opinion - if you love it, doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks.

17. micampe Aug 26, 2016

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 26, 2016

Someone was on this forum about a month ago looking for more of these... So not that unloved lol.

19. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Aug 26, 2016

We have a winner

(Just look at the hands!!!)

20. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Aug 26, 2016

Not half bad... Not at all!

If it were sub 40mm (which obviously it isn't)... but I'm a bit of a sucker for square watches...

Do you happen to have a wrist shot handy?

Foo2rama likes this.