Forums Latest Members

Learning how to clean up/restore vintage watches

1. cvrle1 Sep 28, 2016

I will start off with pretty simple question. Do you think it is a good idea to learn how to do some basic cleaning/restoration watch wise?

i am not talking full on restoration, taking movement apart and so on, more of taking a watch that looks like this, and cleaning up grime off the dial, hands and so on, so that it looks presentable and wearable.

[​IMG]

Or would you just say forget that noise, bring it to someone who knows what they are doing and dont mess around.

Reason I am asking is because I like trying to find old items and try to make them look/work a bit better, so it would be kinda neat to learn how to do this properly (if feasible)

mosqvich, fskywalker and Jwit like this.
  2. wsfarrell Sep 28, 2016

This is a polarizing question here. I like to do as much as I can to improve the look and function of a watch while maintaining its proper vintageness. So I've invested a little in case openers, a Timegrapher, screwdrivers, crystal polish, and the like.

As an example, I find it very satisfying to be able to take a Speedmaster apart, remove the pushers, clean them and reassemble. Small stuff, but it gets me a little closer to the watch.

cvrle1 likes this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 28, 2016

You're asking questions about restoration, which in one way is good, but in another way, not good, it means you're not sure yet.

Spend a bit of time researching vintage watches and refurbishment, restoration and POLISHING.

A properly "restored" vintage watch, to me, is one that has had:
    the movement serviced,
    the dial given the lightest brush/puffer to remove dust and loose debris,
    the crystal polished or replaced, and
    The case cleaned of gunk.

These are basic requirements and don't include parts replacement etc.

The case can be cleaned with a very soft brush and water with dish liquid (all other parts removed of course). A soft toothpick can clean gunk from seams and corners.

Unless you are very skilled, have the right equipment and know what the original finish was, polishing a case can ruin it, as can be seen on countless example on eBay and elsewhere.

Attempts to clean the dial often end up in tears so practice on some old clunkers is the way to learn what you can and can't do.

Before starting any of this however, you need to know exactly what affect your methods will have on the various components.

Good luck with your projects.

meganfox17 and cvrle1 like this.
  4. cvrle1 Sep 28, 2016

Is there any good reading material that would talk about basics. Intro sort of a thing that explains what is what, what tools would be needed, techniques and so forth. Web or books, doesnt matter. Will definitely look more into it, as I find it intriguing, and would like to learn the basics if nothing else. Main reason I asked is because there are some old clunkers out there that have seen better days, for dirt cheap. I thought they would be good projects to learn on and see how it goes. They are cheap enough that if I destroy them, not a big deal. I surely wouldnt dream about doing this on an expensive watch.

Jwit likes this.
  5. lardorty Sep 28, 2016

Tearing down some cheap clunkers is a great way to start. The book Practical Watch Repairing by Donald de Carle has been around forever (since the vintage watches we love were being made) and is my all time favorite. Well worth it. He doesn't talk about patina, restoration/conservation etc. but this forum is a fantastic source of info on those subjects.

Edited Sep 28, 2016
    fskywalker, Jwit and cvrle1 like this.