Forums Latest Members

Learn something new every day...

1. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 22, 2015

Did you know that the Swiss has a fledgeling automobile industry? I sure didn't.

Came across this ad on eBay:
    s-l1600.jpg

Never heard of Zédel before. Wikipedia to the rescue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zédel

The company was started in Switzerland and later moved to France. The above ad is likely from their French manufacturing period. I understand that the factory was extremely close to the France/Switzerland border.

Note the tag on the watch. I guess Omega and Zédel had some sort of a marketing agreement back then.
    gatorcpa

noelekal likes this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 22, 2015

I like the way the cars in these early posters always looked like they were going FAST.

Air rushing by, rocks flinging around, dust clouds billowing, hats on backwards (the only time this mode is OK).

The artists in those days really captured the moments.

rhetoric likes this.
  3. alam Mar 22, 2015

Hopefully does not have a Peugeot lineage. :)

4. MarcelGuinchard Mar 23, 2015

This should interest you:
    http://oldiesfan67.canalblog.com/archives/2011/12/18/22980984.html
    The company is named Donnet-Zedel and operated in the parisian suburb region (Nanterre) until 1929.
    ====
    "
    In 1927, the Torpedo G2 (7 horses) came out of the assembly lines of the newly-Donnet Zedel factory in Nanterre, an ultra-modern, 5-level factory (like in the US). At that time, the Franco-Swiss firm had reached to fifth place behind the French car manufacturers Citroën, Renault, Peugeot and Chenard & Walcker.
    The plant kept operating until the October 1929 global economic crisis, which made it collapse.
    "

(original text here:
    En 1927, ce Torpedo G2 (7 chevaux) est sorti des chaînes d'assemblage de la toute nouvelle usine Donnet-Zedel à Nanterre, une usine ultra-moderne à l'américaine s'étendant sur cinq niveaux. A cette époque, la firme franco-suisse s'était hissée au cinquième rang des constructeurs automobiles français derrière Citroën, Renault, Peugeot et Chenard & Walcker.
    L'usine fonctionnera à plein régime jusquà ce qu'une crise économique mondiale fasse s'effondrer les marchés en octobre 1929.)