Forums Latest Members

LE Chris Ward (like Vulcain / Mido Ocean Star Decompression)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Jul 2, 2021

2. ConElPueblo Jul 2, 2021

I like hand-wound movements, but not in divers. What a shame.

jaguar11 likes this.
  3. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Jul 2, 2021

you will never lose any money if you buy this watch.

you basically have a $500 LE from an established, upwardly mobile, swiss microbrand.

the flippers and watchaholics will fight to undersell early (at minimal profit) after the sellout, but when the dust clears it could be a 1k watch on the secondary market.

people love those limited editions, and chris ward isn't that much about LE models

i have no idea how long it will last. it was just put up today

Edited Jul 2, 2021
  4. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Jul 2, 2021

definitely some mixed signaling and choices by chrissy. a thin, decompression, manual diver?...it's all show, but they're prolly thinking a more dressier and smaller version wouldn't do as well. more people still like flash more than dress and patina. i still think people are going to throw money hand over fist at it. some people have fomo with LE models, and the flippers will not pass on this. i could also see many buying two and hope to sell one to cover the cost of the other.

Edited Jul 2, 2021
  5. ConElPueblo Jul 2, 2021

Well...

But outside of watch flipping, speculating and "investing" in watches, do you really like it? Would you buy it as a collector/enthusiast?

I like the looks and was about to text a friend about who's looking for something fun for the summer about it, but when I saw it was manual wind I lost interest. As with "true GMT" movements being necessary in a GMT in order to maintain the illusion of living the globetrotter life, a mechanical dive watch needs to be automatic to me. A manual one makes me think of the cheap skin divers of the sixties without automatic winding who was just cashing in on the craze of dive watches of that period.

DaveK and jaguar11 like this.
  6. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Jul 2, 2021

we all have our peeves. just because it's a mw vs an automatic isn't one of them for me.

the bigger drawback accompanying the mw is the non screw down crown and possible flooding that could potentially occur. the fact that you're covered to 150m is actually a bonus on this watch. i would feel much better wearing this after if i was ever thrown into a pool.

if you're buying this watch to dive in and be your go to water watch, it's definitely not for you.

the decompression function and other tidbits are meaningless to me and many buyers. it's more style driven feature than an actual functional use thing.

Edited Jul 2, 2021
  7. tyrantlizardrex Jul 2, 2021

They're British, not Swiss. And I suspect if you called them a Microbrand to their faces, they wouldn't thank you.

That is a silly statement to make about any watch.

Most Christopher Ward watches seem to sell second hand for considerably less than their RRP... I can't see this being any different.

Tet, Stripey, jaguar11 and 1 other person like this.
  8. tyrantlizardrex Jul 2, 2021

Also, they all have that really ugly sweep hand counter weight, which is, along with the Brietling B counterweight the worst on any watch currently in production.

Looking vaguely like a desirable watch does not make this a desirable watch.

jaguar11 likes this.
  9. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Jul 2, 2021

the limited edition mido is trending at almost double the 1200 first call price with many more units made.

if you can't see the potential and likely upswing of the secondary cost that this watch will likely have, well, that's on you.

10. tyrantlizardrex Jul 2, 2021

This. Is. Not. A. Mido.

Jog on scalper.

Stripey likes this.
  11. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Jul 2, 2021

awful.

hate and misplaced projections. nothing more nothing less.

move on if you hate the watch or brand.

you're out of line casting aspersions my way.

Edited Jul 2, 2021
  12. tyrantlizardrex Jul 2, 2021

You posted this watch and suggested that people should buy it to make money.

Nothing I’ve said is out of line.

If you don’t like being told that you’re a scalper, maybe don’t post about things that you think should be scalped?

Stripey likes this.
  13. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Jul 2, 2021

move on, pal. this watch or brand isn't for you if you hate so much.

but to call out what you think my motivations are for posting this deal and say i'm a scalper is douchey. .

you're out of line and get lost

14. tyrantlizardrex Jul 2, 2021

I don’t hate the brand or the watch.

I wouldn’t buy the watch because I don’t like it.

Your intentions were made clear when you started talking about secondary value and flipping.

Stripey likes this.
  15. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Jul 2, 2021

you have no idea what my attentions are. i posted many watches like this before. all meant with harmony and thanks.

all you've done have been trying to engage me with negativity. and when i didn't respond argumentatively like you hoped you went full blown douche bag calling me scalper.

get lost

jumpingsecond likes this.
  16. tyrantlizardrex Jul 2, 2021

For someone who talks about harmony, you’re very aggressive, but then, so many scalpers and flippers are.

17. Duracuir1 Never Used A Kodak Jul 2, 2021

Easy boys! CF4A3FF8-0DF2-43A8-9B74-0A3CEE011E48.jpeg

18. Stripey Jul 2, 2021

For a brand that claims to cut out overheads, they do a lot of expensive advertising.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  19. tyrantlizardrex Jul 2, 2021

Indeed. That whole hyper aggressive out of home ad campaign that suggested you were a snob/idiot for not buying one of their watches. Sheesh.

Stripey likes this.
  20. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Jul 2, 2021

I'll agree on one thing, an investment piece a Chris Ward is not. But hey if you like it why not, well enough priced and decent quality, just don't kid yourself thinking it being limited means it will increase in value.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.