Forums Latest Members

SOLD Late '70s/Early '80s Ladies Mechanical Cartier Tank in Solid 18K Gold

1. seekingseaquest Nov 15, 2019

For sale or trade is a ladies Cartier Tank watch in solid 18K gold with a mechanical hand-winding movement. I believe it dates to the late 1970s or early 1980s. The paint on the dial has developed cracking throughout. The case is in nice unpolished condition with no significant wear. The blued steel hands and cabochon crown are also in nice condition. I recently had a new glass crystal custom made and installed. The movement runs, winds, and sets fine, but service history is unknown for a service is recommended prior to regular use.

The watch comes with the full set of boxes and papers as I received the watch in - I believe them to be original, however I am not able to confirm this given the papers are not signed. I also believe the strap/buckle to be original but also can't confirm this.

Additional details are below, and feel free to reach out with any questions. If anyone has any more information on the precise year or originality of box/strap, please DM me!

IMG_2952.JPG 18K Cartier Tank Women's - Box & Papers.JPG

Dial: Original Cartier dial has developed cracking throughout and has some small marks. Has the hidden "Cartier" text in the 10 marker as is common with tanks of this era. Blued steel hands are in nice condition and are beautiful in sunlight. "Swiss" is present below the six marker as expected.

Case: Original solid 18K gold 78087 reference case is in very nice condition. It is unpolished, as illustrated by the brushing on the case back. There is no significant wear, just some light scratches on the back. Case measures 21mm x 28mm.

Crown: Original cabochon crown is in nice condition. As with the hands, the blue really shines in sunlight.

Crystal: I recently had a glass crystal custom made and installed.

Movement: Original 78-1/2512 hand-wind movement runs, winds, and sets fine. Service history is unknown so a service is recommended prior to regular use.

Strap: I believe the strap and buckle to be original as it is of the same style as I have seen on tanks of the era, but of course I have no way of knowing for sure. The strap has wear and the buckle has some plating loss and tarnish.

Box/Papers: I believe the box and papers to be original to the watch, despite having the Must de Cartier branding on the box but not on the dial. I've seen this on several occasions for the 78087/78086 reference tanks. That said, the paperwork is not signed so I don't know for sure. The box has a sticker with some numbers that I don't recognize (please DM me if you have info), and hand-written on the box is the serial number of the watch. Inner boxes and papers are in nice condition, outer white box has some staining.

Price is $1,600. Open to trades for non-radium 50s or early 60s Seamasters, Constellations, Geneves, Conquests, and Flagships (see my WTB/WTT here). I'll cover insured US shipping, international shipping is available but to be discussed with buyer. PayPal preferred for payment. OF seller reviews are here. Returns are accepted if watch is grossly misrepresented. Watch is located in Seattle, WA, USA.

IMG_2953.JPG IMG_2955.JPG IMG_2958.JPG
    IMG_2965.JPG IMG_2966.JPG IMG_2967.JPG IMG_2968.JPG
    IMG_2972.JPG IMG_2970.JPG
    IMG_2980.JPG IMG_2981.JPG IMG_2976.JPG
    IMG_8619.JPG IMG_8621.JPG IMG_8623.JPG IMG_2936.JPG IMG_2941.JPG IMG_2937.JPG IMG_2938.JPG IMG_2939.JPG

inchpincher likes this.