Forums Latest Members
  1. hondaman Dec 13, 2012

geneve movement.jpg geneve.jpg This is an Omega I have owned for several years. I think it is from 1969 and has a 24 jewel 565 movement inside with what I believe is the original dial. I am considering spending the money to have it serviced including having the dial and hands cleaned but nothing more.
    From what I have read this version of the Geneve is not the most desirable. I like the watch and do wear it at times. I want to know if it does looks to be original and if colectors with more experience feel it would be a good move to spend the money for a service/cleaning.

2. ulackfocus Dec 13, 2012

Is it an heirloom? If so, get it serviced.

You are correct that it's not the most collectable or sought after model. The late 50's and very early 60's are the models most Omega nuts want. It's still a nice watch with a solid movement, and any serious Omegamaniac will tell you it's better to have a watch powered by a 56x than the post-1972 models that housed the 10xx series calibers.

3. hondaman Dec 13, 2012

Not an heirloom but one of the first vintage watches I acquired. I agree in regards to the movement. I like the 56x series.

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 13, 2012

I agree, even just looking at the design and material with naked eye, you can tell the quality difference. The 70's Quartz competition really took toll to Omega movement quality. I bet they took cost cutting initiatives at that time that sacrifice the quality.

5. ulackfocus Dec 13, 2012

I've always wanted to do a head to head comparison of a 56x versus a 101x to show all the changes. If I could score a cheap but nice Genève or De Ville with a 1012 I'd put my 1960 Genève caliber 562 on the bench next to it for a teardown with Steve and document / photograph each part.

6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 14, 2012

Challenge accepted.............
    I have a Seamaster Cosmic 2000 with Cal 1012 that I'm willing to be torn apart (with assumption you will put it back together right......?..:confused:) in the name of Omega vintage research.....:p.
    Let's split the shipping cost..........But you have to be patient, I'll use priority mail post, which may take 3 weeks going there..........
    If you are OK with that, I'll ship tomorrow.

7. ulackfocus Dec 14, 2012

I certainly will take you up on that offer - but let's not ship it yet until I know I can get with Steve for a day or two to do the shoot and record his commentary. Thanks!

8. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 14, 2012

No problem..... let me know when to ship it. I hope Steve would support your interesting idea.