Forums Latest Members

Late 60's Constellation inheritated from my father.

1. xringx Aug 14, 2018

To me, it appears to be in really good condition. The hands have wear... The plastic? crystal? has a few scratches but has yellowed at the edges. I am not finding many watches like it..just some that have some features.

I am considering sending it back to Omega for servicing as the appears the potential value appears to justify the cost plus I am sure my dad wouldn't want the watch to sit and collect dust.

He purchased new in Switzerland in the late 60's, My brother was there but he doesn't remember the year.

20180814_202323.jpg 20180814_202352.jpg 20180814_202427.jpg 20180814_202413.jpg

2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 14, 2018

First order of business is to strike from your thoughts anything about sending the watch to Omega, as they are well known for replacing original parts with newer service parts, and destroying the originality (and value). Indicate where you live (Country and region) and ask for recommendations for a good watchmaker.

It looks like a nice sunbust dial, although it is hard to tell if all the apparent distortion on the lettering is just from the crystal, or if the dial has been 'touched' before. I suspect if we could see it without the crystal in place it would prove to look good.

Do all you can to ensure only a watchmaker who respects the watch and the importance of it to you as a treasured family heirloom works on it. Omega will try and return it to 'factory new', which is not what you want.

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. xringx Aug 14, 2018

Well crap.. I forgot to state my questions.

Main question..can you guys give me a run down on it? Good/bad shape? Roughly when made? anything else that would be interesting?

Also

1. Do straight lugs mean it was meant for a leather strap originally? I have looked at old brochures and it seems advertised that way. I prefer a bracelet but dont know if I can get period bracelets in good condition.
    2. If I send it to Omega..other than servicing the movement and cleaning up..can I/should I get a new crystal/plastic?
    3. What else should/could I have done?

4. xringx Aug 14, 2018

Damn BlackTalon..your quick. I see where you are heading.

I am in the USA.. Ohio to be specific. I want the watch treated right. The idea of replacing broken pieces dont sound bad to me.. as long as the watch works. I want to wear it for a long time just like my dad

Here are more photos if that helps.

Since I am here 20180814_202318.jpg 20180814_202153.jpg 20180814_202146.jpg

5. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 14, 2018

1. There are some metal bracelets out there that will work fine. Some of the really knowledgeable people will chime in with model #s, etc. The same kind folks can probably also chime in about the crown (if it is 'correct' or not)
    2. See my previous post. Find a good watchmaker, preferably one with access to Omega parts. Have them do a full movement cleaning and replace/ fix worn movement parts. Probably replace the crystal.
    3. As little as possible. Have the case cleaned, but avoid a polish.

Dan S likes this.
  6. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 14, 2018

The '3' marker is off a little. Could mean the dial was previously worked on, or just that the marker is no longer fully attached/ glued. Seeing the dial with the crystal off will show whether the dial is a real winner or has possibly been partially worked over at some point in the watch's history.

7. zinengineer Aug 14, 2018

My 2c - service the movement only, leave the rest as is. Case, dial, crystal have a history. I’d suggest you want to keep the history

Again, one guys opinion

Dan S likes this.
  8. xringx Aug 14, 2018

9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 14, 2018

Unfortunately the dial on your fathers watch has been rather poorly refinished. Collector value none, personal value priceless.

Get the watch serviced and have the case cleaned but not polished in any way, wear and enjoy.

These were sold on a strap and a bracelet added as an accessory at the time of sale if desired.

Peemacgee, Noddyman, Dan S and 2 others like this.
  10. ConElPueblo Aug 15, 2018

I think you are being too harsh on the condition of your father's watch. I has been refinished, as @X350 XJR says, but that doesn't affect the sentimental value :)

It will look 1000 x better after a clean-up and a service.

Mossback likes this.
  11. xringx Aug 15, 2018

Well.. I have done some basic cleaning on the outside.. it's looking much, much better. After using some magnification (3.5x) I don't think the dail has been retouched. I think is all the scratches on the crystal that is distorting.. To me, it becomes clear that by looking at from different angles the dial looks like original, but I am far from knowledgeable about the details that show original vs retouched

Also, while I can't be sure of course.. it doesn't seem like my dad to pay someone to redo the dial.. If there was a problem, he would make sure it works and moved on and used it...which is shown by the rest of the things he owned, from tools to cars. So he might have had an hour marker fixed (and I doubt that) he wouldn't have bothered with lettering and the such. He wore this watch until about 20yrs ago when he switched to a Tiffany Portfolio that he received from his company (which I have also) which is in really good condition.

I will try to post new pics

12. xringx Aug 15, 2018

New pics. Also and recommendations for who to work on it? Its for sure not keeping time and date correctly. I am in the USA.. Ohio to be specific.

20180815_110005.jpg 20180815_105950.jpg 20180815_105909.jpg
  13. ConElPueblo Aug 15, 2018

Trust us, it really is.

It isn't as much the finish as it is the execution; no Constellation of this type has "SWISS MADE" above the minute track, for instance. Also, note how there is lume in the hands, but not on the dial - another no-no.

KingCrouchy and Noddyman like this.
  14. ConElPueblo Aug 15, 2018

Also, by "retouched" was is meant is that the entire dial is cleaned and then new text, minute hashes etc. is put on. In this case, restoring the original lume was omitted.

15. xringx Aug 15, 2018

It isn't as much the finish as it is the execution; no Constellation of this type has "SWISS MADE" above the minute track, for instance. Also, note how there is lume in the hands, but not on the dial - another no-no.[/QUOTE]

I really appreciate the detailed explanation. I can't believe I missed the location of "SWISS MADE" like that.

Ok.. this is somewhat of a relief.. if that makes any sense. I think it free's me up (mentally at least) to have it serviced and wear it and enjoy it. 99% of everybody that see's will not know the difference.. I am wearing and using my Dads watch which pleases me and I have no interest in its value.

murph, BenBagbag, Shabbaz and 7 others like this.
  16. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 15, 2018

When you have a treasure like this, that's a perfect attitude. :)

epl108 and Mossback like this.
  17. xringx Aug 15, 2018

Thank you.. I still need a recommendation of who to send it to..I dont care so much where. I am very close to Cincinatti... FYI

18. kkt Aug 16, 2018

Your dad might not have ordered the dial to be refinished. It used to be pretty common for watchmakers to refinish the dial along with a general service without making a point of it. That's why refinished dials are so common now. As said, it doesn't take away from the sentimental value at all.

19. xringx Aug 17, 2018

Hello all.. I am back. I took the watch apart and took some pics. I would like thoughts on what I want to do with the watch.

I want to put a used "beads of rice" band on coupled with a new crystal and new watch hands to match the dial. As mentioned above, the hands are probably original and have lume on them, but the dial has been redone without lume. So I am looking at silver hands with a black line.

Of course, I still need to find a watchmaker to service it.

Question... On the crystal, what is the purpose of the gold band on the bottom? To give a gold cast to the whole watch? The dial is silver with black lines on the markers..

Here are new pics.

Thanks for the help and advice

movt1.jpg back.jpg dial3.jpg glass2.jpg
  20. justinz Aug 17, 2018

Send me a PM. I’m in the Cincy area too and can provide you with my watchmaker.