Forums Latest Members

Late 50's Omega Cal320 Chronograph

1. Baz9614 Jul 28, 2015

I've just purchased this Omega, but I am having a hard time finding any information on it? The serial indicates the movement is from 59, but ive only uncovered one other pick of this exact watch? If anyone has any more info, please share, I'd love to learn more about it.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 28, 2015

Its a late 1950s cal 320 chronograph in stainless steel.
    What other info are you after?
    Here is mine (terrible photo, sorry), with slightly different dial furniture, which is currently off with my watchmaker:
    [​IMG]

Baz9614 likes this.
  3. redpcar Jul 28, 2015

I watched this one on ebay. It arrived pretty fast.
    Nothing about it on the Omega database.
    If you are looking for pics, I suggest google "Omega 2278" and look at the images. There is one here:
    http://www.ancienne.es/en/omega-chrono-2278-3-00165/
    I like yours better. This one is a redial, polished and has the wrong crown.

Baz9614 likes this.
  4. Baz9614 Jul 29, 2015

Thanks! It hasn't arrived just yet, but I paid the extra to get it here sooner. These pics are ones the seller emailed me before I purchased it.

5. Baz9614 Jul 29, 2015

Nice piece! Thanks for sharing. I like to have all the pieces of the puzzle so I know exactly what I have, but this one is proving to be a little difficult. I can't wait to get it on my wrist, but will still have to send it in for a little service to ensure she's healthy.

6. sliceoftime_ Jul 30, 2015

Post some pics when it arrives, very interested in this model.

Thanks,
    Kent

Baz9614 likes this.
  7. Baz9614 Aug 7, 2015

Then and now. On the left my 1959 2278-3 Cal 320 (34.5mm), and my 2008 PO 2500C on the right. Both very cool in their own right. The 320 is off to the spa Monday for a tune up!
    image.jpg

dougiedude likes this.
  8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 8, 2015

I've got the OT2872 18K rose gold version of the same dial and hands:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

micampe, Gavin, bvertz and 4 others like this.
  9. Baz9614 Aug 8, 2015

Thanks for sharing! It's a beautiful dial. It's like a little jewel. I've seen a couple in rose gold, but I've only found 1 other pick of the SS version. Is that a replacement dial or the original?

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 8, 2015

Original, never refinished

Baz9614 likes this.
  11. Baz9614 Aug 21, 2015

After a complete overhaul, it's finally on my wrist and my watchmaker said its all original! Although I do suspect the longer chrono hand may be a replacement based on a couple other photos I've seen
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

12. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Aug 22, 2015

Very nice watch, I just finished a service and repair of a Seamaster Date from the same era, I prefer the vintage pieces over the new ones. It's nice to see something still used and appreciated today after all these years.

I am curious if the photo you supplied is the extent of the disassembly that was done during the servicing. The reason I ask is that all of the chrono levers, pillar wheel, springs, etc are still attached to the bridge, they shouldn't be. They are normally removed before the bridge itself is removed from the mainplate, and in the same way the stand alone bridge is attached to the mainplate first, after the train is assembled, and then the various chrono components are installed and lubricated as each piece is fitted in turn.

In other words, seeing the bridge removed from the mainplate with all the parts still attached would possibly indicate that the movement wasn't completely torn down for the service, which can cause all sorts of problems: the old gummed up oils and grease remain, and if the bridge was cleaned while still assembled, you can't completely remove the cleaner and rinse chemicals that wick between all the various components. Worse off, any old dried up oils will be softened and behave like a grinding paste, increasing wear and damage (see my Seamaster Date post on this issue). And if that wasn't enough, without full disassembly the ability to lubricate all the various levers, springs, etc, is not possible, causing more wear and damage.

Something you may want to clarify with whoever did the work for your piece of mind and maintaining your investment. Lubrication is cheaper than replacing or having to make new parts.

Was the movement fully disassembled or is the extent of the teardown what is shown in the photo.

Edited Aug 22, 2015
    Baz9614 likes this.
  13. Baz9614 Aug 22, 2015

I agree, there is something very cool and timeless about this piece and a proper service was in order so it may continue on for many more years. I appreciate the education, and detailed explanation, but the watch was indeed completely torn down and cleaned properly and the pic was taken during reassembly.

14. Dennis88 May 11, 2019

I bought this watch on eBay yesterday. Funny how it could be traced back but it did help me pull the trigger. Been watching for a decently priced Omega chronograph from this time period but don't want to shell out the money for a speedmaster or cal 321 seamaster so I thought this was a great opportunity. Might order an extract for it (once thats possible again) to figure out where and when it was delivered. If I do I will update it here.