Forums Latest Members
  1. dialstatic Apr 29, 2016

Hi guys!

I thought I could get used to the slightly dulled edge at the 9 o'clock position of my 145.024, but I can't. I bought it a couple of months ago knowing full well that it was there (no doubt the result of polishing over a nick, because the edge is sharp everywhere else).

I don't see how it would get better by taking away material. But I've seen amazing work on these very boards involving adding material through micro laser welding. Do you guys think this is something that STS or Rocco could fix using that technique? Or is this outside the scope of what they can achieve?

It needs a service & maybe a sunburst lapping anyway.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Oh, and just for fun, here's the whole watch:

image.jpeg

Edited Apr 30, 2016
  2. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Apr 29, 2016

The suppliers you mentioned (or a good jeweler) would be in a better position to answer your question but here's my take. I assume you want to add material to replace the material that was removed during a previous polish. I think it could be done but I doubt the material would have the same appearance unless it is the same alloy, and then some.

dialstatic likes this.
  3. dialstatic Apr 29, 2016

Thanks! I always thought this also. But some of the pictures posted by members who have had inscriptions removed, lugs repaired etc. look simply amazing. But yeah, maybe I'm expecting miracles where none are to be had. I was kinda hoping some of you might have experience with this sort of repair.

4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 29, 2016

It can easily be laser welded. The hard part is bringing it back to the original profile and matching the finish. Certainly, it can be done by a skilled craftsman.

If you're having the whole case redone anyway, it's a no brainer. If you're only going after that one spot, I'd just leave it be.

dialstatic likes this.
  5. Tom Dick and Harry Apr 29, 2016

STS can sort that easily, I'm a regular and as such a 'cherished' customer (although I think they probably classify me as a pain in the backside, it's not everyone who turns up one day wanting a flightmaster returned to stock but an ed white servicing but leaving completely untouched)

When I can get down to see them I tend to get the VIP treatment. I was there a few weeks ago and they have invested heavily and I do mean heavily (£50k +probably more like £100k) in their polishing equipment, it includes not one but two lapping machines, state of the mops, sand blasters, Absolutely cutting edge laser welding machines and also some custom machines they have had made specifically to refinish the sides of cases on vintage omega chronographs! I kid you not they spent £000's on custom made bespoke machine just to give the perfect edge to a flightmaster/ SM120c etc! Now that's commitment to the cause

Give them a shout, I'd recommend speaking to Simon, he is the bible on vintage omeagas and their customer service is second to none

6. TomGW Apr 29, 2016

^^
    Trust him - he knows what he's talking about. To STS this is a minor issue that can be sorted to 100% original profile that will be undetectable. Laser welding will replace the previously lost material and will be a perfect match.

dialstatic and Kbjohn like this.
  7. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Apr 29, 2016

Also check with member @photo500

He does some very nice work as well.

Did a wonderful job on my Ploprof case. Hodinkee also published an article on a watch case he recently completed.

marco, Foo2rama and dialstatic like this.
  8. marturx Apr 30, 2016

Here's my input; it's very likely that you will not, either, get used to seeing and experience, a redone case to as NOS condition, in contrast to that aged dial and hands. It will just look very odd.

Sell it, and buy a better preserved, untouched, unpolished, specimen

ConElPueblo and dialstatic like this.
  9. dialstatic Apr 30, 2016

Thanks all, especially @Tom Dick. I now feel confident enough that STS can do this. Thanks to @marturx however I feel somewhat less confident that I want them to :thumbsdown:

I have an (actual) NOS correct bracelet incoming that would match a refinished case fantastically. The current case looks a bit satiny and tired due to micro pitting, which makes me not want to wear it as much, and thus speaks for the full spa treatment.

On the other hand, I don't what them to go anywhere near the dial and hands, so it might look odd. Also, this is not an emotional piece for me, and I'll probably sell it a few years down the road. Would you say that an STS refurbishing would negatively impact resale value? That would seem to be the consensus for Speedmasters, or not?

Edited Apr 30, 2016
  10. photo500 May 1, 2016

Thanks @Taddyangle!

Yes I'd agree this is not a big deal relatively to sort out and it won't be possible to tell its been done. Even without $100k of machines and tools [emoji6]

As for value afterwards, it will definitely be worth more at least that's been my experience.

In the meantime you may want to check the crystal, in the side on shot it appears to not be seated correctly. There looks to be an uneven gap between dial and crystal tension ring too in the pics. Could just be the angle the images have been taken from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dialstatic likes this.