Forums Latest Members

Laser soldering to attach foot to dial back. Could it damage dial front?

1. PatrickJ Sep 15, 2015

My Omega Geneve 166.070 1969 or 1970 Automatic with date has been serviced.

However, before the watch was serviced my watchmaker warned me one of the feet on the dial back had fallen off. The previous owner's watch maker had attached it to the movement with a a special sticky pad, the other foot gave some support also.

I do know it is possible to solder another foot, but with great risk to damaging the dial front. My watch maker confirmed (also a highly respected Omega forum member) the risk and would not do it for me as he confirmed the dial to be original. I agree with him as the dial is original and the case is not polished, regardless of the dial being attached with sticky pad to the movement with additional support from the other foot.

Yesterday a friend of mine who owns a vintage longines said I should contact Alsal watches in London, The Strand. They said standard soldering is a high risk and could easily damage the dial front. HOWEVER THERE IS ANOTHER METHOD THAT USES LASER SOLDERING AND IS VERY DIFFERENT TO STANDARD SOLDERING. AT WORST IT MAY LEAVE A TINY MARK ON THE DIAL FRONT BUT IT IS MINOR. These guy have been servicing watches for over 30 years.

Does anyone on here have experience of laser soldering a new foot on a dial back?

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 15, 2015

No one here is going to be able to tell you for certain that it can be done without damaging the dial - it's a risk and the only way to know is to try it.

Let us know what happens if you decide to do it.

Cheers, Al

JohnSteed, PatrickJ and italy1861 like this.
  3. watchlovr Sep 15, 2015

Had it done with no damage by Aldo in Italy.
    Took 6 months to get it back.

Edit, I do not know what process was used.

PatrickJ likes this.
  4. PatrickJ Sep 15, 2015

If I decide to do it I will let everyone know the result. Thanks for reply Mr Archer.

5. PatrickJ Sep 15, 2015

Thanks for reply

6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 15, 2015

I had it done with a speed master chocolate dial .

It was a hell of a risk, but paid off in my case.

It's all all down to 70% skill, and 30% luck it seems to me.

The actual attachment of the foot takes a fraction of a second!

7. PatrickJ Sep 15, 2015

Who did it for you? Was it standard soldering or this laser method?

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 16, 2015

Another thing to consider is the colour of the dial. If it is a light colour I would be more hesitant to attempt this. Although the colour has nothing to do with the dial getting burnt or not, a black dial or other dark colour might hide any damage a lot better than a white, silver, or other light colour would.

JohnSteed likes this.
  9. PatrickJ Sep 16, 2015

Thank is a good point, the dial is silver.

Edited Sep 16, 2015
  10. watchlovr Sep 16, 2015

You could always try an epoxy adhesive.

11. PatrickJ Sep 18, 2015

My watch maker attached the dial with some sort of sticky pads that will hold the movement in place. Also one of the feet is still ok, he said to me it should hold only you will know it is a good watch. So best stick with that.

12. Varnado Sep 19, 2015

They make a machine that does exactly this without any damage to dial

PatrickJ likes this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 19, 2015

Yes, that machine (or another version of it) is what is used when dial feet are soldered on typically.

There is still certainly a risk of damage - the machines and it's operator are by no means full proof.

PatrickJ likes this.
  14. Georgieboy58 Sep 19, 2015

Not fully fool proof :whistling:

PatrickJ likes this.
  15. PatrickJ Sep 19, 2015

I have looked at the video and the seller's website, the unit costs $295. I also looked at the dial restore direct website that gives instructions, as Georgie boy 58 stated it is not fully fool proof. I share Mr Mr Archers view that there is still a risk of damage.

The watch still works even though the movement is held together by one foot and a strategically placed pad, it may of effected the collectablity of the watch but with a clean original dial, unpolished case the watch can still be used and enjoyed.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the thread. Bellow is a link to the dial restore web site.

www.dialrestore.com

16. Ecodelosandes Sep 21, 2015

Mr. Archer, i have the same dilema here with my Seamaster 168.034. I have been thinking about the same solution Watchlovr proposed before. With one of the sci-fy adhesives available today is it not possible to adhere a new dial feet to the back dial?
    Best regards

Miguel

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 21, 2015

My concern would be that there is not enough surface area between the small diameter dial foot and the back of the dial to provide a strong enough bond. Solder requires very little surface area to bond well. With an adhesive, I can envision that you would need a puddle of it at the base of the dial foot, and this may not allow the dial to sit flat on the movement.

Possible maybe, but it may depend on the exact situation you have...

Cheers, Al

Ecodelosandes likes this.