Forums Latest Members

Lange "high end" finish quality?

1. whatch Aug 4, 2018

I'm a huge fan of A. Lange & Söhne, something about their same level of finish from "entry-level" to master complications but saw this video and couldn't miss some not-so-great things.

The dust spot sitting on the dial at 1:55 really caught my eye and upon reading the comments, some viewers also noted some spots at 4:19 in the date window.

This is not a cheap watch by any means, and always looked up to the german brand, what's your experience with their finishing standards? does this throw you off?

Regards

staristheanswer likes this.
  2. many Aug 5, 2018

99% sure that’s a preowned watch that came into WC. AFAIK they open up all their watches, inspect them, etc before resale. I’d be surprised if some dust got into the watch that way. I’d be even more surprised if it left A.Lange that way.

whatch likes this.
  3. NT931 Aug 5, 2018

Pretty happy with mine so far, and have taken a loupe to them without feeling disappointed. But you do hear some stories about service standards slipping (several on various fora), but I'm not sure the %tage with post-service issues like these.

whatch and khmt2 like this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 5, 2018

First, I do not consider dust on the dial etc. as being related to finishing standards. As others have suggested that is likely something introduced by the company that is reselling the watch from either and inspection or some other intervention.

The finishing of the movement, dials, and cases are very good - that is a different thing from the QC issues you refer to.

5. whatch Aug 5, 2018

True, in regards to the dial spot, I should've been more specific in the difference between their finishing quality and QC, and upon realizing that WF most likely opens their watches, it changes the perspective completely.

I have an enormous respect for Lange, and rightfully so. After knowing that the reseller likely opens their watches it could be argued that it was more of a slip on their end, although those dots on the date wheels could be also mistaken for paint particles or splatters of some sort.

6. ClarendonVintage Aug 5, 2018

Lol.

First the Patek video screw up; next Lange doesn't clean its dials.

Guessing their marketing department would probably blame outsourced video-making parties for this. Either way it gives me no confidence...

whatch likes this.
  7. guaranteed.rohu Aug 11, 2018

can't put too much blame on lange themselves if it's a pre-owned watch, as others have stated this very likely is. definitely is bad and would be taking it back to lange/watchfinder to clean it off - but likewise it's all done by humans, human's will always be prone to error occasionally

8. stahlmotte Oct 3, 2018

Lange finish the movement better or the same like PP. Mr. Dufour own a Lange Datograph - what a reference!

JohnLy likes this.
  9. cholack Dec 9, 2018

Agree. Finishing and QC are different altogether