Forums Latest Members
  1. Steve9pm Strangely obsessed with cheap manual wind watches. May 18, 2016

Any year/reference as long as it's white gold or platinum. Not interested in the Grand Lange.

2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia May 18, 2016

Great choice. Wonderfully laid out dial. The Grand Lange is more cluttered I believe.

I've had this Lange 1, in yellow gold, since 2014. Sellers photos btw. Magnificent finishing thru the large display back. I really like the quick set button. Runs forever on a windup. Really a great watch. Good luck sourcing one.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Edited May 19, 2016
    ahartfie, Steve9pm and sky21 like this.
  3. NT931 May 19, 2016

The L1 is a classic for many reasons - beautiful dial, asymmetric in all the right ways, a killer movement that's a joy to look at, and the perfect 38.5mm size.

Steve9pm likes this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 19, 2016

Can't get past the date execution on these...nearly bought one in WG with blue dial, but the date killed it for me.

5. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia May 19, 2016

Archer, When you say "Date Execution" are you referring to the quick set side of the case button, the date window on the dial or offing your girlfriend? :)

Seriously, the nice thing about the Lange1 dial presentation is that it is totally uncluttered. No hand ever covers any other part of the dial.

6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. May 19, 2016

Nice watch. I will own a Lange someday. 1815 Up Down is my target. The L1 date window bugs me too. BTW...Crown and Caliber are a pleasure to do business with.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 19, 2016

I'm referring to the big date and how it's executed. The two disks that are on different planes, the "mullion" bar they add between the digits to (try to) disguise that fact, and the most egregious to me is the lack of a "0" ahead of single digit dates, as the photos posted above illustrate.

8. NT931 May 19, 2016

Al owns a Glashutte Original as well, so I suspect it's not the big date that bothers him.

Might be the fact that Lange has the same big date but displays it differently from GO, even though they're both German:
    1. Lange has a divider between the 2 digits of the date
    2. Lange's 2 date discs are on different planes, while GO has them on the same plane

gemini4 likes this.
  9. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia May 19, 2016

True, I had read about the 2 date disks and the different plane when I was researching the watch prior to purchase. On very close inspection you notice the 2 planes but it is something that one gets used to rather quickly. It's rather cool that on the change of certain dates, ie 31 to 1, 9 to 10, 19 to 20, 29 to 30, the watch says Click Click instead of just Click.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 19, 2016

Again for me, the biggest issue is the lack of "0" on dates from the first to the ninth of the month. To me this throws the whole balance of the dial completely off - not something I am prepared to maybe or maybe not get "used to" with something in this price range.

Overall the GO big date is (in my opinion) much better executed, right down to both digits changing at the same time rather than one after another...

But to each their own I guess - that's why this hobby is good because there is something for everyone. If I were contemplating an ALS it would be something cleaner in appearance, like an 1815 or Saxonia.

BTW I had a similar big date to the ALS on my Blancpain Leman:

[​IMG]

The leading zero made it acceptable to me, even though it's not as good as what is in the GO. The BP is gone now, but it wasn't because of the date - it just wasn't getting enough wrist time. Great watch though - 100 hour power reserve!

Cheers, Al

NT931 likes this.