Forums Latest Members
  1. Julie Feb 28, 2014

Could anyone help identify this ladies omega watch please? Attached are pics and only reference found that appears to be similar. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

tmp_Screenshot_2013-11-24-02-59-29 (1)-1020206520.png tmp_Screenshot_2013-11-25-22-37-531663051675.png tmp_IMAG0340-564794658.jpg tmp_Screenshot_2013-11-24-02-57-56 (1)1698259251.png
  2. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Feb 28, 2014

I doubt if your model is a Saphette, as the pics don't appear to show a faceted crystal. Saphettes were produced for around 20 years from 1955 and the case number doesn't match a Saphette listing in the Omega database. Database is incomplete, particularly for women's watches.

You don't show a pic of the movement so we can't determine the caliber number of the piece. The only way to specifically identify the piece would be to sends pics and case and serial numbers to Omega CH and obtain an extract from archives at the cost of around 90.00

Cheers

Desmond

3. Julie Feb 28, 2014

thank you very much for your information. I will get better pics in the near future and post. I've had a jeweler from Houston look at it and was given the clip I posted. It most definitely is the yellow sapphire diamond cut crystal as the jeweler confirmed but, it doesn't show well in pic. It's been in the family for at least 50 years and barely ever been worn. I was told the original omega jeweler en scribed his initials on inside of case left of the pyramid icon and also on the backside of the bezel. We have always believed and we're told this was a very rare watch. Hopefully with more info like yours we will get to the bottom of this many year mysterious watch. Thank You, Julie

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 28, 2014

This listing from the Omega VIntage Database isn't exact, but it's reasonably close:

http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database?ref=15759

Caliber is listed as 440 in the caption from Omega - A Journey Through Time that you supplied. The linked watch has the same caliber and what looks to be the same dial and crystal. I think the major difference is that the watch above is on a cord-type band and yours is a full metal bracelet, likely also solid 18K gold.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

5. Julie Feb 28, 2014

Yes you are correct! I have found pics of the same watch and crystal but with leather bands and one on ebay several months back that was a14k metal band but not a linked bracelet (like mine) that listed for 22k which sounds crazy! And, yes my linked bracelet is solid 18k. Would you know what does the queen's silhouette profile stamp inside the case mean? Above the serial number? I will research the link you sent. I tried the Omega vintage search site in the past putting the serial number in 10 different ways with no luck. We were told there were only a few of this particular watch made many years ago. Another legend has it that a Miss America of that era received one. Just trying to get to the bottom of these myths and lengends. I will attach another maybe closer look pic although obviously I need to get better pics and also of the inside movement too. tmp_IMAG03431406462196.jpg
    Thanks so much for your time and reply. Julie

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 28, 2014

Helvetia, the Swiss hallmark for 18K 0.750 gold.

7. Julie Feb 28, 2014

thank you so much....I am by far no expert on watches. This is why I have joined this forum to learn from the "experts!" Thanks!" Julie

8. Julie Feb 28, 2014

I checked out the link you sent and yes, that is a very close one in comparison with the cord type band, except for the yellow sapphire crystal and 18k link bracelet. Thank you!!! Julie

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 28, 2014

The serial number will do you no good. The way I found it was to open up the link that says "Show More Filters" below the search box on the Omega site. I then used the drop down menu and highlighted "440" under caliber. I got that information from the blurb you posted. That gave me about 5 case reference numbers. From there, I picked the number closest to "10944", which is the reference mentioned in the blurb. Then we got lucky, that it was almost identical to your watch.

This doesn't alway work. The database is missing a lot of information, for ladies' watches the failure rate is probably well above 50%.

That's true for most ladies' watches. Women are generally far more particular than men about not having the same name your item here as anyone else. Problem today is that there are very few collectors of such small watches. The value on these are not much more than gold melt even though some are stunningly beautiful.

I've not heard that one before.
    gatorcpa

10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 28, 2014

Hi Julie

Most of your questions have been answered, I'd just like to add a tip for taking pictures.

Try to do it in natural daylight, near a window with light curtains or in a well lit room.

Turn you flash off and turn your macro button on (looks like a little flower symbol).

Steady your camera with a tripod or rest it on something to remove shake.

If you have a timer option, set it to 2 seconds, that way the camera snaps two seconds after you press the shutter and you avoid more shake.

Theses are very basic tips but with experimenting you'll be able to take decent pictures of your other vintage watches as you get them ;)

11. Julie Mar 1, 2014

Thank you for your tips! This is not my field and all very new to me. I am trying to learn all I can about this watch. Again, thanks for your kindness and tolerance for "rookies". Julie

12. Julie Mar 1, 2014

I so appreciate your info. We have for years tried to find information on this particular watch. One would think if there were only a few of these watches made that are "very rare" as the caption description states it would be worth more than melted down gold. I wonder if maybe there might have been a "limited edition" giving more value. Personally I'd like to know who owns the other "very rare" pink saphire crystal watch. Maybe it'd be of more value to them. This was my mother's watch and she never let it out except on special occasions when I was honored to wear it but, I would consider selling it if the price justified it's uniqueness. Again thank you! Julie