Forums Latest Members
  1. Lubalouis Mar 30, 2016

Hi I'm new to the forum. I have my Mom's 1970 gold ladies Omega, Geneve which she bought in Switzerland. It is lovely but alas not working. It's a wind up. Would this be expensive to repair? I'd love to wear it.

She was told by a jeweler that the value is only in the gold since it doesn't work. Is that true? There's a mov./work no. On the paperwork 27.757.270.

Appreciate any info. or advice. I don't know how to put a photo on here. Behind the times!

2. tyrantlizardrex Mar 30, 2016

Hello, and welcome!

The cost of the service will depend on the movement in the watch... So hard to be too accurate without seeing it.

Where in the world are you?

There may be some people we can reccomend to you for the service, once we know where you are! :)

3. Lubalouis Mar 30, 2016

I'm in NJ. If I can't repair it, is it of any value, other than the gold? Thanks for your help.

4. cimo Mar 30, 2016

It can almost certainly be repaired. The question is whether you are willing to invest what it would take to restore the piece.

A watchmaker would be able to assess what needs to be done and quote you a price for returning the watch to working condition. However it's possible the cost of service will exceed the value of the watch. Since it is your mothers piece this may be worth it anyway in terms of sentimental value. But in either case I would encourage you not to melt it down.

5. Lubalouis Mar 30, 2016

Thank you! Does anyone have a recommendation for a reputable watchmaker New Jersey?