Forums Latest Members
  1. DFCSL Nov 18, 2016

Hi,

I´m looking to buy a screw for a diamond ladies Omega watch. I don´t know what model it is so it´s proving difficult to know which screw to look for.

Would the screw be generic? Or something I would certainly need to go to an Omega dealer for?

Appreciate any advice.

omega02.jpeg omega05.jpeg

2. Canuck Nov 18, 2016

Pretty watch! That one will have a bog stock ETA quartz movement in it which will be tarted up with Omega printed on the circuit assembly. Any reasonably well equipped watchmaker should be able to supply one. But don't turn the project over to whoever lost the original screw! And don't try it yourself! I'll just bet you lost the cell bridle screw which DOESN'T need to be removed to do a cell change! These cell bridles are sprung in such a way that, if they launch that screw, you'll never find it!

DFCSL likes this.
  3. DFCSL Nov 18, 2016

Thank-you so much for your reply. I wanted to source the screws myself but I understand and will certainly take your advice, I´ll send it to a local watchmaker. The screws are so tiny I was wondering how I was going to deal with that anyway.

It´s got a 1387 inside. I´ve attached a photo in case anyone is interested in seeing it inside. Quite a surprise that it´s a cheap standard movement, it was 10000CHF (8000GBP) when my wife bought it, in 1989. We´re wondering (hoping!!) if it still works as it´s not been used for over 15 years.

Cheers for the advice. We appreciate it greatly.

omega07.jpeg

4. Canuck Nov 18, 2016

Take off the brass plate that is marked OMEGA, and it will likely be a bog stock ETA caliber 978.002 movement underneath. I think I detect the stud of a broken screw where the cell bridle screw fits, and the cell bridle doesn't show in your picture. To the best of my knowledge, this movement (if it is a 978.002) is no longer made, and if this movement cannot be salvaged, a substitute will have to be fitted. Best not to be practicing "watchmaking" skills on such a watch! The price she paid was for the carat of diamonds, and the karat gold case and bracelet. As to the "cheap standard movement" to which you referred? If this is a caliber 978.002 movement, there were few of the type that were better in the market place from when it was introduced, until it was discontinued. What distresses me more is the $5.00 (my COST) plastic movements being fitted to watches that are touted on the internet as regularly $500.00 watches that you can buy for $99.99! They're way overpriced at $50.00! The movement in her watch was a good, honest, reliable performer that is usually repairable. Not so a lot of this other junk being marketed to a gullible public.

5. DFCSL Nov 19, 2016

Thanks very much for your time and experience. Will update the post when I get it sorted at a watchmaker. Cheers, have a great weekend.

6. GuiltyBoomerang Nov 19, 2016

Long shot here @Canuck and @DFCSL, would it be an idea to place an Omega mechanical movement in there? Ladie's movements aren't too expensive and could potentially fit in the shaped case.

7. Canuck Nov 19, 2016

Absolutely no way an Omega mechanical movement, or any other mechanical movement for that matter, would fit into this case. This would be an easy problem to resolve, for an experienced watchmaker. I have posted a link to the Ranfft watch movement archive which shows an ETA 978.002 movement which I am 90% certain is the basic caliber for Omega 1387. There is a good chance the Omega movement could be serviced. But even if it couldn't. The ETA 978.002 should still be available, somewhere. It will replace the Omega movement perfectly! Just up to the owner to get busy and affect this easy solution. I don't know how much more help I can be. Even if the 978.002 is unavailable, ETA is making a newer caliber that will replace the movement.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&ETA-ESA_978_002

8. GuiltyBoomerang Nov 19, 2016

And if the watchmaker can't repair it, then it can be replaced with this as well:

http://www.esslinger.com/harley-ron...3-7mm-to-replace-eta-978-002-and-eta-578-004/

9. DFCSL Nov 20, 2016

I´m still hoping the movement is actually working, or at least serviceable. I´ll update on that after we get it to a watchmaker.

I found this PDF of the Omega movement - Found it interesting reading this.

Just for clarity, it seems my mechanism has no crown, I didn´t notice this until it was pointed out on the PDF.

Omega 1387 spec.jpg

10. DON Nov 20, 2016

It's not the movement your really paying for. It's the name, gold content and diamonds around the bezel.

I assume the screw is for the case back? Doesn't see a missing screw on the movement

DON