Forums Latest Members

Ladies Constellation Quartz Battery Hold Down Screw--where to buy?

1. ksedars Nov 20, 2018

Hey guys,

I thought I could take a crack at replacing the battery in my wife's Constellation quartz (321-type battery), and the metal tab went flying up on me once I had released the screw. It tossed the screw into the oblivion, and I can't find it. Are these something I can purchase? If so, what is the part and where can I find it? Thanks to all for your help!

2. ksedars Nov 20, 2018

Well, in an unbelievable twist of fate, I actually found the screw! After looking forever, I swept up a small pile and saw just the slightest glint of a reflection and there it was. The Omega gods are smiling on me today! Tragedy averted...if I don’t drop it again...

3. pongster Nov 21, 2018

Similar thing happened to me. Great feeling.

ksedars likes this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 22, 2018

Was fitting a flat spring in a chronograph movement the other day, and it slipped. Heard it ping on the other side of the room. Spent about 2 hours tearing the room apart to find it, but didn't. Then 2 days later, before I broke down and ordered another one, I decided to have one last look. Found it right where I had looked in the prior search...no idea how I missed it the first time around...

I have a small container of "found parts" that I've lost at some point, given up and replaced, only to find the parts long after. Some are easily identified, but some I'll probably never figure out what movement they came from.

This is a photo out of a book I have on two legendary watchmakers - Daniel Roth and Philippe Dufour...

[​IMG]

When I was getting Mr. Dufour to sign my book, I asked him about this photo of him on his hands and knees, looking for a dropped part. He wasn't too pleased that the photographer included this one in the book, but if Mr. Dufour can drop the odd part here and there, then don't feel bad when you do.

Cheers, Al

Deafboy and OHS like this.
  5. Canuck Nov 22, 2018

Many years ago, I was replacing a mainspring in a rather scarce watch. It did not go well. The spring was not completely seated in the barrel when I set the barrel onto my bench top. Sproing! The spring flew to my right, and the barrel travelled to my left. It happened so fast I was unable to see where the barrel went, but I heard it hit about ten feet to my left. Didn’t know where it hit. I spent days, on and off, sweeping, sifting, poking, prodding, to no avail. Along the wall to my left I have a cabinet that is about 8 feet long. There is a 1/2” gap between the back of the cabinet, and the wall. I had no idea how the barrel might have found its way behind the cabinet, but it was the only place that I had not looked. I moved the cabinet out from the wall, and voila! There was my barrel. It was spinning as it flew left, hit the wall, then continued spinning as it proceeded after making a 90° horizontal direction change, “walked” along the wall, and spun to a stop on the floor, beneath the cabinet! Whew!

6. ksedars Nov 22, 2018

Those are funny stories! Thank you for sharing them...makes me feel a little better about the mishap. It’s nice to know it even happens to the pros. :)