Forums Latest Members

Ladies 14k With Diamonds And Metal Band - But What Is It?

1. LAS Dec 29, 2012

I inherited this watch ladies 14k gold Omega from my mother; I think it is from the 70's. I've searched several websites, and have seen some similar watches in the Geneve and International collections. I don't see any marks or identifying words to indicate what collection it is from, and I'm afraid to open it lest I scratch the back. Can anyone help me identify this watch and perhaps tell me more about it? Also, the stem is missing; I want to get it repaired, but should I go to an Omega store, or an independent watch repair shop? Omega back.JPG Omega dial.JPG
    Thank you!

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 30, 2012

A lot of these ladies watches have American made cases and bands, so it is not surprising that you can't find it in the Omega Vintage Database. Any good independent watchmaker should be able to get the parts and clean it up nicely.

Unless you live in New York City, any local Omega Boutique is going to send it off to Switzerland for service. It's isn't going to be cheap and it's going to take a long time to get it back. The 5th Ave. Boutique does have some watchmakers on staff for simple repairs, so they may be able to fix the stem and crown for you if they have the parts. But any complete service on a vintage Omega goes back to the Mother Ship in Bienne.

gatorcpa

LAS likes this.
  3. LAS Dec 30, 2012

Thank you for responding, gatorcpa. I finally opened the back and took some pictures that might help determine my watch's authenticity and value. I was surprised to find some numbers handwritten inside. They are very difficult to see with the naked eye. If you have a moment to take a look, I'd appreciate your opinion(s). I am really curious to know if it is original.

Also, after searching for hours for a similar watch, I found one exactly like it on ebay:
    http://www.swisswatchexpo.com/watches/omega/ladies-omega/vintage-ladies-14k-white-gold-diamond-2385.

I know nothing about gold - (and even less about watches :), but mine appears to be yellow gold. Also, the OMEGA name on the dial of mine has not been retouched, whereas the one on ebay appears to have been handwritten. Otherwise the watches seem to be exactly alike.

Thank you again, gatorcpa, for your feedback. I look forward to learning more about my mother's watch, and to getting it repaired.

Best,
    LAS 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG 8.JPG 10.JPG 11.JPG 12.JPG 14.JPG 15.JPG 16.JPG

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 30, 2012

Well that's weird... caseback looks original but the ring of putty and off-brand movement doesn't. Looks like someone installed that at some point during a very quick and very dirty service

LAS likes this.
  5. LAS Dec 30, 2012

What is the movement? What is "off-brand" about it? I thought the putty looked odd, too. Is there supposed to be a gasket instead?

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 30, 2012

The movement is that thing behind the dial that makes the hands turn and has the battery in it. It doesn't appear to be an Omega movement.

LAS likes this.
  7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 30, 2012

To go one step further, what probably happened here is that when the mechanical movement broke down, your mother took it in to be fixed and was told the following by the jeweler:

"Well ma'am, we can fix the watch, but it will cost a hundred dollars or so. Instead, we can put in a modern quartz movement. It will keep much better time that way and will cost less too."

And so your mother's watch movement went to the great horological graveyard in the sky...
    gatorcpa

LAS likes this.
  8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 30, 2012

Its a real watch by the way, no doubt about that. This dodgy repair actually confirms it more than anything oddly enough.

The plus side is ladies Omega movements from that era are cheap and plentiful, they're literally all over eBay. So if you wanted to restore it to wear, it wouldn't be impossible.

LAS likes this.
  9. LAS Dec 30, 2012

Thank you again for your quick reply! I'm sorry to be so full of questions, but how would I know what to buy? Should I buy the movement myself and take it all to an Omega store to be sent off? I just don't know what the next step in the process is! :)

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 30, 2012

Honestly I wouldn't get Omega to do it, I'd get an independent watchmaker to source the movement for you then service and install it. What state are you in?

LAS likes this.
  11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 30, 2012

Dsio is certainly correct. $75 will get you a running cal. 625 movement, as shown in the link you posted above:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Calib...741?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d6c3e8cdPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

You can certainly buy a correct movement, then have it serviced for a few hundred dollars total. Then your mother's watch will be as it was when new. However, it won't add any value as a collector item. Value is limited to gold melt plus diamonds, unfortunately. Almost no one collects ladies watches, not sure why.

But you wouldn't want to sell an heirloom like that anyway,
    gatorcpa

12. LAS Dec 30, 2012

I am in Texas (Houston area).

13. LAS Dec 30, 2012

Thank you very much for providing so much information so quickly! No, I'm not interested in selling it. I excited about re-discovering it, and I want to fix it so I can wear it. My mom wore it all the time - she really loved it!

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 30, 2012

Used to spend a lot of time in the League City/NASA area many years ago. I don't know any watchmakers in Houston, although I'm sure someone here will come up with someone for you.

You can always go here and look one up, but realize that no one here is likely to be familiar with their work.

http://directory.awci.com/search_re...ocation=77345&zip_miles=50&Search=Search+Now!

Good luck with the restoration project,
    gatorcpa

LAS likes this.