Forums Latest Members
  1. Einstein84 Mar 27, 2017

So independent crowd sourced watches have been gaining popularity recently - in curious to find out if anyone here has bought these and what led you to do so?

Some examples of the more recent campaigns below, I've only included those that use Swiss ETA movements, because good looking quartz watches are not hard to find at a reasonable price...

IMG_5333.JPG IMG_5334.JPG

2. blacksharpie Mar 28, 2017

3. blacksharpie Mar 28, 2017

Didn't spend a whole lot of time but I looked at the Marloe website. Mostly because I wanted to see if they fall into the "AFFORDABLE LUXURY" category that seems to be all the rage, but they currently use the seagull and miyota movements which are Chinese and Japanese respectfully. Not sure where you saw ETA anywhere. I have to laugh at the chronograph and cardinal direction (wtf) markings on a few of their models that have neither a chronograph (or a second hand for that matter) or a compass. AFFORDABLE. LUXURY.

ctime3 likes this.
  4. ctime3 Mar 28, 2017

What does this have to do with Modern Omega Topics?

5. bryanmanio Mar 28, 2017

I completely understand the hate for kickstarter watches, but I think the design on that first watch in the original post is beautiful.

Kmart likes this.
  6. SteveHarris Mar 28, 2017

I've bought a few and had no issues. I liked being part of it to be honest which is why I chipped in. Moved all of them on after a few months though as the collection was getting a bit out of hand!
    Steve

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 28, 2017

As with most Kickstarter watches parts like crowns and crystals or anything really will not be available.
    At least with micro brands that have lasted the test of time these parts will be available.

Worked out years ago $600 watches steal money from $2000 vintage watches made by Omega, Longines, IWC and Zenith. ;)

DaveK, LarryG and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  8. pascs Mar 28, 2017

I have bought a couple of watches from Dagaz Watch, not a kickstarter company but a small company nonetheless. He is using NH35 or Miyota 9015 movements - price is not too expensive and I get something a bit different which I can use for any activity. Hopefully he'll be around for a while if any spare parts are needed :)

I have also just pre-ordered a pilot style watch from A-13A, I really like the style of this watch (I hope its ok to post a picture from his website)

And an interview with the man behind the design
    http://wornandwound.com/interview-paulo-fantons-13a-pilot-watch/

g6[1].jpg

GrouchoM and ErichPryde like this.
  9. Einstein84 Mar 28, 2017

Well I thought this would naturally lead to the question of would anyone actually get one of those watches over an Omega? Which is what seems to be their selling point... "luxury" at an affordable price by cutting out the middlemen

10. Einstein84 Mar 28, 2017

Ok I think I might have misread the Marloe one for being ETA... turns out it's a ST1901 movement... the second one from Zelos is likely to be ETA2824.

Still a no for you even if they were ETA movements?

11. Einstein84 Mar 28, 2017

I have to say given their limited resources to prototype and test out their designs compared to the big players they have done a pretty decent job in designing an elegant watch...

12. Einstein84 Mar 28, 2017

How much did you make or lose in the process?

13. blacksharpie Mar 28, 2017

My issue with brands like these is not necessarily the movement, or parts sourcing. It's the disingenuous statements that imply that the only reason a high-end brand costs so much is because of middle men, or artificially inflated prices. Word’s like bespoke (used incorrectly) drive me nuts. Like they've cracked some age old problem that made "luxury" watches expensive. As if a blank dial and "minimalist" design instantly makes a watch lux and worth owning (despite the $9 quartz movement or "hand wound" Chinese movement.) These brands are a dime a dozen. If you like the design, great, buy one and enjoy it. That's all that matters.

I agree that some of the designs are nice and I applaud anyone who can build any kind of successful business because it's hard. I completely disagree that their approach is unique. Limited resources? Marloe raised nearly $500k from two kickstarters. Design aside, anyone with that capital and an internet connection could produce these watches. Spend a few minutes on alibaba or dhgate and you’ll see what I mean.

I think this whole trend is super boring. That’s why that instagram link is so funny. These brands are all the exact same thing: “AFFORDABLE LUXURY.” They are neither affordable (for what they are) or luxurious.

BrianMcKay, sevenhelmet and ctime3 like this.
  14. SteveHarris Mar 29, 2017

Got my money back on all of them.

I've ordered that pilot watch too @pascs

pascs likes this.
  15. Rodmar Aug 14, 2017

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 14, 2017

Looks like a tarted up version of an Alpha Daytona...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have to say the narration in that video was both hilarious and sort of stomach churning at the same time...

"Our main designs are inspired from the customizing icon timepieces for years inside the ancient architecture and magic energy of the old city of Geneva Switzerland"

"We recreated ancient designs in a modern spirit watch"

Who comes up with this stuff? I mean with that sort of inspiration, who wouldn't want one of these beauties! :rolleyes:

As with almost all of these projects, the "design" is mostly picking options out of a catalogue from the vendor in Hong Kong...they make some claims in the video that I'm not sure would hold up well under any real scrutiny...

For me, I'll pass.

Cheers, Al

17. GuiltyBoomerang Aug 14, 2017

I'd wear the Alpha Daytona over what they have...though I am biased since I have one myself as a beater for the gym :)

Those vendors in Hong Kong must be onto something if they can put that out...whilst competing with the DWs and Marc Jacobs fashion watches and the almost typical Sub on a lot of workers there...

18. Rodmar Aug 14, 2017

I'll agree the first thing I thought was wow another copy of the Daytona and what's with this ancient architecture BS? Or that they say they're creating something new lol

But still eye catching to say the least.

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 14, 2017

Those photos I posted are of one I used to own. It was a long time ago, but I was trying it to see if I wanted a chronograph, since I wasn't really into chronographs at the time. From what I can remember it ran okay for what it was.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  20. GuiltyBoomerang Aug 14, 2017

In a way, they're like the Sistem51s of Swatch - throwaway chronos, since the entry level price is quite solid (can be less than $199USD.) For the 2-5 years you could potentially wear one, that's a lot of button pressing :)