Forums Latest Members
  1. kennethcooke Apr 27, 2015

Someone mentioned, when I commented about keeping my JLC Duo Time wound whilst I wore my new Omega watch, that it was OK to let a watch rest. I can understand this as all watches in jewellers windows are at rest until purchased but somewhere in the grey matter I am sure I was told that a watch should be kept running. I was enquiring as to whether I should obtain a watch winder for my Omega which is automatic. Chapter and verse on this would be much appreciated wrist shot.jpg

2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 27, 2015

I don't thin k so. That's like keeping your can running while parked on your garage overnight. I can see how you would not want to not have it run a little every now and then, but why keep it always running?

3. flyingout Apr 27, 2015

4. PatrickJ Apr 28, 2015

This is probably a good question for a watchmaker.

5. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 28, 2015

Already answered. Follow the link above

PatrickJ likes this.
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 28, 2015

In my view, winders can be very useful for automatic complications.

If a complex watch is allowed to run down you may have to re-set day/date/month/phase etc.

Having it on a winder at the correct rotation/interval saves fiddling with all of that stuff and you can just put it on and wear it.

On the other hand, I don't even put my date autos on a winder, I just pick them up when I'm going to wear one and set the time. My eyes can't distinguish the tiny weeny date number any more so I don't even worry about it.

If you'd like to send me either (or both) of your watches, I'd be happy to conduct a time and motion study for you.

<time and motion - get it?>

:rolleyes:

7. PatrickJ Apr 28, 2015

I have no experience of watch winders. I have been told that watch winders can cause magnetism issues, if I would get one get a very expensive one with antimagnetic sheilding. You can get these winders from from 29.99 pounds is the the magnetic issue that bad on cheaper ones.

8. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Apr 28, 2015

The belief that watches need to be regularly wound to keep the movement properly lubricated is an antiquated one and all watchmakers will tell you that. When I keep a watch constantly wound, it is usually a situation when it is the lesser of two evils i.e. using the pushers to adjust the date on a 40's triple calendar watch every time I put the watch on would cause more wear on irreplaceable parts than keeping it wound.

oddboy and noelekal like this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 28, 2015

As I've said previously, they are for convenience only. I use one for my non-quick set date watches, or watches that I want to be "grab and go."

Cheers, Al