Forums Latest Members

Keeping the Speedy! What makes us tick and tock

1. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 13, 2015

Ok... Finally decided after long self debate, and even some good offers, that I simply cannot part with my new sapphire sandwhich.
    I believe the initial issue was I spent a lot of money on a new watch that I didn't love at first sight. Its understated, it's modest, it's casual and dressy. The Speedmaster appears foreign on my 7.5in wrists because it's a modern looking classic watch that appears nothing like my current or past lineup. It's thin, sleek and even odd to some (how many watches you know who's crystal domes almost 2mm above the bezel). With all this said, I couldn't grip the fact I spent so much on something so out of my wheel house. I looked at its domed crystal and thin bezel edge and said "this isn't me"... Is it? And almost immediately dropped it back in the box and posted a sale thread.
    A few days have past, and I have been peeking in the box when the wife isn't looking... I've been admiring the fact that it will fit under my shirt cuff everyday. And gazing at its beautiful caseback window as it moves and lives when I wind it's tucked away polished crown.
    I thought to myself what do I replace this with if it leaves? I need a black dial, I need a daily wearer and I don't want to get bored of looking at it everyday like I did my Tag Aquaracer. My first response was an SMPc. It's the perfect $4k dollar beater watch. But to be honest I can always get one of those at a fair price and the next one may as well be better. So should I maybe spend a little more and get the "upgraded" model and jump to a PO. But then I thought about all the technology moving forward. What if, Omega puts a skinny inhouse movement in, they use anti-magnetic technology, they use liquid metal on all the ceramic bezels, they create a black dial titanium etc... And I realized ok, then wait for the next best thing. But until that time, I still need a watch! At which point I realized the current best thing was already sitting in a box in my house.
    It's movement is proven, it's look is modern and timeless, it's design is unique and sleek, plus it's a black dial that fits all my needs. Whats a guy to do?! Give it a chance to dazzle and surprise. Put it in a suit and tie, but also be sure to wear it at a ball game. Go deep sea desk diving with it and don't be afraid to wash the dishes wearing it. Embrace it, unbox it, and take the watch that went to the moon out of its box!
    And that is l exactly what I have decided to do! At the very least this watch will in no way bore me. And if I do finally decide in just a few short months or maybe a few long years, that the Speedmaster is not for me, I can at least say I made the right decision. Regardless I have aready learned not to stair to hard into its chrono dials, as it has apparently already placed a spell on me to keep it ;)

On a serious note I have a few Speedmater newbie questions...
    - Is it at all possible to remove and replace the bracelet without scratching the case near where the pins go and the bracelet slides in? I got a leather and deployment for it but am afraid of messing up her undercarriage.

-I love not having a date window, but like the idea of using the chrono hand to mark the day of the month. Will leaving the chrono hand on a number (engaged) rather then zero'd out at 12, put unnecessary stress on any of the parts in the movement (Delrin brake?) if so I'd rather not use it for that and instead just defer to keeping it in working condition before needing an early servicing.

-Can I over wind the crown?? I feel like the movement is so delicate but I can never seem to stop winding before feeling the crown fully stop and the extra tension get pushed to the max. (I try to really take care of my watches)

Thanks for reading everyone, hope it brought a moments worth of entertainment :)

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 13, 2015

To answer your questions in order...

Yes, you can remove and install the bracelet without marking the case.

Leaving the hand stopped but not reset will not stress anything.

Just wind it until it stops, and don't worry about it. Unless you really crank on it it's unlikely you will do any damage.

Cheers, Al

Frunkinator likes this.
  3. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 13, 2015

Thanks Al you're the man.
    As for changing the bracelet I got it off all good.
    Put the leather on (just to try it out) but seem to be struggling to get the piece that slides the bracelet back up for a fit where the pin sets on either side. Any tricks to do this without scratching it?

4. ulackfocus Apr 13, 2015

Change is sometimes good. Leaving your comfort zone can be fun once in a while.

Frunkinator likes this.
  5. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 15, 2015

Well it was fun to write about the in depth thought process from the perspective of a crazy watch guy, but who am I really kidding. Any watch that makes me think whether or not I like it, means I don't like it...
    Speedy is back on the chopping block!

6. TLIGuy Apr 15, 2015

Well some watches are just not for everybody and best you find something you are really happy with and enjoy wearing.

That said, I fixed your post.

7. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 15, 2015

I completely agree, thanks TLI :)

TLIGuy likes this.
  8. shy06002 Apr 17, 2015

Thanks for the speedy bud, I'll enjoy it for you :thumbsup:

9. Temiyasen Apr 17, 2015

Like Al said about winding your watch ..... do not worry .
    Wind it till it is full , stops and resists to your finger turn .
    If you haven't intend to damage your watch , you cannot crack it with your daily normal winding.
    Compared to other winding Watchs , Speed pro is one of the most comfort and easy to wind .
    Enjoy yours .