Keeping perspective in time: A few early century watches.

Sometimes I lose perspective on just how old an old watch is. My grandmother was born in 1924 and most of the watches I collect were made when she was a teenager.

The following Longines is 114 years old. It was sold in the Edwardian era. There are less than 10 people on Earth who are older than this watch. The Kitty Hawk flew a few years prior and the Great War was still a few years ahead.

Message from Longines:

"The original serial number 1'458'536 identifies an open face pocket watch in 18ct gold and enamel. It is fitted with a Longines manually wound mechanical movement, caliber 18.89. It was invoiced on 26 August 1909 to the company Matthey, which was at that time our agent for Switzerland."

Next we have a watch from the same period. Roesgen & Cie was registered in 1907.

With the Longines below, we move up to 1919. The Great War has ended, with the abolishment of Austria-Hungary. The Treaty of Versailles was signed. Women were not yet allowed to vote in the United States.

I wish I could still talk to my grandmother. She died when I was young and we never shared a meaningful conversation about her life. These watches were made before she was born, by people that would have been her parent's age or older.

Beautiful watches as always.

... and the Ford Model T was introduced to the world in 1908!

Amazing watches from such an interesting period in time. I've been reading a lot of historical WWI books just recently and my goodness people had such a different way of thinking back then. Respecting ones betters and all that.

Looking back it's on the one hand almost like another planet, but on the other, and in the great scheme of things, really just a blink of the eye. The rapid advance of technology defining the changing mindset of humankind to quite an extent.

It never ceases to amaze me how these survive so long virtually unscathed, through the incredible upheaval of the European wars and great depressions. Who owned them, where were they put for safe keeping, hidden and long forgotten, to re emerge decades later. This is the reason I have this simple 1917 Omega pocket watch, I'd love to know its story. Thanks for sharing.
(Photo's courtesy of previous owner)

Waltham 1857 model, made circa 1865. 15- jewels, key wound, key set. Coin silver case. I have about 30 pocket wartches that are from the 19th century. Mostly U S A made, but 3 English keywinders.

I had this humble example from 1935 on the wrist today, keeping me on schedule all day long, doing precisely what it was meant to do 87 years after it left the factory: