Forums Latest Members
  1. SpelHD Mar 21, 2019

Recently well, last year I inherited a very nice Omega Constellation, Caliber 1001 - 168.033 /166.052

Well the story is, My Father In-Law received it while working in civil service for the Bundeswehr as it is also inscribed on the back BUNDESWEHR, as seen in the pics. It has been well taken care of, serviced and cleaned over the years as it works flawlessly. Unfortunately the original band is long lost but I will eventually replace that if I can find one or period correct for 1968/69.
    I have been scouring the net to find another like it but it appears that the dial is the only one I have ever seen like it. Is this normal? I have contacted Omega directly and waiting for some type of answer. Before everyone's ears perk up, It's not for sale. I know that forums have many hobbyists and people that know quite a bit so, I am interested in a value for insurance purposes and want to know if anyone has ever see one with a dial like it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
    Ray

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG
  2. SuperHero Mar 21, 2019

Unfortunately, I am not one who can give any info but I did want say it’s a beauty.

I really enjoy watches with personal engravings as they all have a story, even better when they something like this in beautiful condition.

SpelHD likes this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 21, 2019

::popcorn::

connieseamaster likes this.
  4. ConElPueblo Mar 22, 2019

Hi @SpelHD - welcome on the forum :)

It's an interesting Omega you have there! Could you tell us what reference number it has? It looks like it says "166.052" on the inner caseback. Also, is the movement a cal 712? There should be a three digit number on the movement itself.

I may be going out on a limb here, but I would suggest that the dial has been replaced or repainted at some point.

Dan S and Foo2rama like this.
  5. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 22, 2019

ConElPueblo likes this.
  6. SpelHD Mar 22, 2019

Thanks All. From what I know, My Father In-Law has had it since the early 1970's and it has never had any work done other than cleaning and service in Germany by an authorized servicing company. It was last service in 2015 and was assured that it is 100% original and for it's age in excellent working condition. It keeps time perfectly.
    Me having it now is the first time it has been outside Europe. I am wearing it as I type. I put the band on it that he had on it as it was given to me.

There are 4 digits on the inner working of 1001 so I am assuming that is the CAL#
    The inside of the back has two ref. numbers and they are,

There is also a very faint number off to the right of the OMEGA Symbol looks to be almost hand done but, 3319 appears to be what I can barely see with a magnifying glass that I have

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 22, 2019

Cleaning can include redoing the dial. Common practice in 70’s and 80’s.

The question here is why you have a dial that makes no sense. It’s a base style of dial not found on Omegas with no dial furniture on a the top line of Omega. The dial is also odd in that it has aspects of a military dial and aspects of a non military dial combined. No example has been seen of a militaryish style dial on a constellation, and Omega was not in the business of making one offs. Military issued watches are highly documented and this is not one that has been seen before.

The obvious conclusion is that at some time when the watch was serviced it was redialed or refinished to look like that. But there is always a chance it’s something else and perhaps ordering an extract of the archive can shed some light.

SpelHD likes this.
  8. SpelHD Mar 22, 2019

Great,
    I seem to have that problem where authentication or having "The Only One" follows me.
    Brings to mind a story of a S&W Model 27-2 that I had. Missing many markings and the Letter from the historian proved that it was made by S&W but was never documented and does not exist, lol. Never should have left the factory.

Maybe this is something similar.
    I have an email with picture sent to Omega to help track down the origins of why and how this watch came to be so different.

Thanks All,
    Ray

9. ConElPueblo Mar 22, 2019

There's also the issue of the lack of "Swiss Made" as well as the chronometer text on the dial as @Peemacgee mentions. If the dial was an Omega manufactured piece it would certainly be there.

The realm of vintage watches offers little room for one-offs sadly (at least that's the lesson learned from reading the many threads on this forum), but it'll be interesting to hear what you dig up :)

SpelHD and Foo2rama like this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 22, 2019

It’s always nice to have a nice person asking these questions. More often then not advice does not go over well.

Thanks @SpelHD

ConElPueblo, SpelHD and Peemacgee like this.
  11. SpelHD Mar 22, 2019

If it is a re-dial. at least it's not in the Worst Redial Thread, LOL. Still awesome to me whatever turns out from my questions. It works well, and keeps perfect time.

Thanks for the comments @Foo2rama

Edited Mar 22, 2019
    ConElPueblo and Foo2rama like this.